² thirty seven

Nate .

"I...just didn't think I'd have the same issues with Malak that we had with you."

I look up at Worth sadly, seeing him have case file in his hand. He waited for me to grab it and I snort once I do.

"Did you even hear what I said?"

"Of course I did." Worth chuckles, sitting down in his chair as I sat on the edge of his desk. "The circumstances for him were much different from me, and yet...he still found a way to almost repeat my fate. Making someone his destiny, the one he 'owes' in a sense. Goes to show that even if I had parents and a better life, I would've maybe still done the same thing."

"But you wouldn't have ended up in jail." I remind him.

Worth shrugs, and I already knew what he was trying to say.

Despite...Worth and I protecting our kids, Malik still...is almost close to replicating Worth's story.

It started with him feeling like he owed someone, even if it meant hurting themselves. Malik is beginning to do that. Rue and Lilith don't think that way...

"Did we do something wrong?"

"Not at all." Worth shook his head quickly, and I saw out of my peripheral him look at me like I was ridiculous for saying that. "Malak doesn't even know my story, so there's nothing for him to look up to and try to replicate. He knows the us now, not our past. He...was always a softie, a big softie. And we always were so soft on him and his weakness is that everyone is good. That everyone possibly has his best interests at heart like we all do, and he does the same. It's not a flaw...but his greatest weakness."

I saw Worth smile, his eyes settling on me as he rested his elbow on the desk. His hand reaching for mine and I take it.

"He's so kind and so...different from me. I love that for him. I wouldn't want him like me, but I worry that he doesn't have the good parts of me."

"I assume you mean your street smarts and reading people? Being able to handle such things?" I answer for him and he nods. "We made him as aware as he could be. He's just...too-."

"Dads."

We both look as we heard Malik knock on the door. It was closed, and I already knew that he wasn't one to eavesdrop.

"Yes Malak?"

"Can I come in?"

"Of course, you're so kind for asking." Worth compliments, us watching him as he opened the door. Except the look on his face told us enough. "Aww...did you actually do it?"

He nodded sadly, walking over to us as he plopped into the chair. His head hung loosely and I rushed to his side. Crouching before him, he looked me in the eyes only to break from them.

"I...did what you two asked of me because I understand. I understood what you said, but why do I still feel so...shitty? I like him a lot, and he was there for me. He's just not...doing good right now. I know why, but I don't think you two would even get it. You don't have these issues and work for the police."

My head whips onto Worth who just smirked in amusement. I saw Malak look up just at that time and he saw his dad's expression.

"Why...are you making that face?"

"You...are more like me than I thought." Worth stands up, walking around the desk as he crouched before Malak with me. "Much more than I thought despite us being raised so differently."

"How so?"

Malak practically begged with his eyes to understand. He looked up to Worth much more than I realized at times, I sometimes forgot that. The way he acts...is so much like him that it's kind of startling. Except I don't hate it...I just worry that he'll get himself just as much as Worth did.