thirteen

"Don't press charges on Worth, please."

I stood before the Chief as he looked disgusted by my presence. It didn't matter to me though because I knew my intentions. Considering what he's seen and now knows we've done something such as that...in their eyes, I'm not different.

I was frustrated because I knew who I was and I knew my intentions. Except it felt like I was being condemned. Like out of everyone here, I am the worst.

When I really haven't done anything wrong really. All we did was...nothing. He kissed and felt on me, but so what? It was obvious, the poignant jealousy at this point.

"Why the hell shouldn't I?"

"Why would you?" I question him sharply, causing him to roll his eyes. "You...all will have to explain why he did such a thing. There are cameras, witnesses, and things to corroborate that you all are in the wrong-."

"And there are things in there that show your actions towards an inmate as unacceptable-."

"You're a fucking hypocrite, and I have never had sex with him! Understand what flies past my teeth and lips!" I shout now, slamming my hands on his desk. "This all started...because you all tried to force sex upon him and try such a thing. Don't try and push this on me like it's my fault! You all shouldn't have done what you've done and not expect a fucking reaction. Didn't your mom fuckin' teach you that your actions either have good reactions or consequences?"

Chief just looked at me, looking at me like what I said didn't resonate with him. My disdain for him grew further the more he didn't acknowledge that he was why that transpired.

"You act like I don't have the right to be upset about this." He says calmly, shaking his head in disbelief. "I knew Worth much before you and he treats me like this after everything-."

"Get this through your skull, because I don't think it has yet," I interrupt him sharply, glaring into his eyes, "You will never be an option in his eyes, he will never like you. What don't you understand? Worth absolutely despises you, and I despise you too. You all are horrible to him, absolutely horrible. How can I tell you I don't have a problem with you, when I do?!"

I fix my shirt, more so that he couldn't see the marks on my neck, and that clearly bothered him.

"Such a thing as what we have has nothing to do with you. This was continuous all this time, and suddenly you appear and just fuck up everything. It really...pisses me off." Chief shook his head, looking away. "I would never dream of pressing charges on Worth, I could never."

I kept myself from sighing in relief because I knew there was a catch.

"But, he must stay in seg for some time; and I must speak with him. Only about the necessities and what this could mean for him if he doesn't comply with jailhouse rules-."

"You don't even comply with your own jailhouse rules, so how are you gonna try and tell someone to do just that? And he does follow them, you're the one breaking them. Which is horrible since you're the Chief. How'd you even get this job anyway?" I question him and he rolls his eyes. "I'm serious. You are as corrupt as they come. Why hasn't anyone ratted your ass out yet? It's like what the inmates say, we're paid to be professional snitches. Why has no one snitched on your bad ass?"

Chief snickers, shrugging and I begin to look off at the pictures on the wall. The plaques...more like it.

That's when it hit me.

His family has been Chief or Warden of this exact place for almost three generations, him being the third. I saw him not even looking over at the wall and I glare at him in disgust.