° 28

"Nice dress." Mateo complimented as he stands up from her bad "Thank you." Mera smiled as she turned around to see him sitting in her bed.

"You don't want to do this, do you?" Mera almost forgot that Mateo notices everything. He's always been like this, he's the Mateo who knew her but not too well.

He can't and doesn't know her.

"Too many people to associate with." Mera groaned "Then, why are you doing this?" Mateo asked, "For the better." Mera answered without hesitation "You always confused me with your words, Mera." Mateo said as he sighed "I know and I can't help it." Mera shrugged "You either confusing me with your words or not telling me anything at all." He let out a chuckle.

"I know we only know each other for a year now but you know you can tell me anything, right?" Mera pause then, sighed "I know." Mera said as she gulp down another glass of champagne.

"It's too early for that champagne." Mateo complained, snatching the bottle from Mera's hand to stop her from pouring another glass "It calms me." Mera whines, shrugging "Not Coraline if she finds out you're drinking before the party even started." Mateo scolded

"She won't mind." Mera replied as she let out a laugh "Let's hope she won't." Mateo smiled softly as he put the bottle down, letting her pour another glass

He went quiet as he watched her, Mera glanced at him and see him thinking so deeply that she thought to herself that he might get lost in his thought.

"What is it?" Mera asked, she knew it was about her or related to her every time he went quiet around here cause Mateo is never quiet, he's always so loud and always chirping but always calm.

One of the things Mera like about him is that you can never see him get mad but that doesn't mean he's never mad, it's just he's always so calm in such a panicking scene. He's always composed.

"I'm not saying anything." Mateo chuckled "I know you wanted to ask something." Mera replied ."I wanted to ask you one thing that I never get a chance to." Mateo finally said "What is it?" Mera asked and took a long sip of her champagne.

"It always confused me where are your parents? And how come you're the only Blanchette here other than Coraline?" She doesn't know how to answer his question and she also doesn't want to lie to him "My parents lived in America, they are alive and I don't like talking about them." Mateo is startled by her answer.

"Oh, sorry." Mateo apologize as he looked down "It's alright but never mentioned them again, Mateo. Unless what I said is connected to them but like hell, I do not say something that is connected to them."

And then, silence took over again between them. She gets it, he felt bad that he mentioned her parents when it's obvious she never talks about them and doesn't want to talk about them. He knew her but not too well, not too deeply.

"Look, Mateo. Don't tell this to nobody."

"Mouth zipped."

"I and my parents aren't exactly at our best term, ever since I left." Mera started "When I was with them, I felt so controlled." She continue as she sat at the armchair beside the mirror and the table "I didn't even have my phone or aloud to use one till I was sixteen years old." Mera chuckled at that thought.

They could afford a phone but her mother couldn't afford to be a mother, always saying she doesn't need any phone and even refusing to let her use the family phone so she never answered the phone unless her mother is not home.

She always found it unfair that her sister has their own in their room but not hers.

"That's torture." Mateo chuckled
"I know." She agreed as she laughed
"But tell nobody about that." She added, pulling out a cigarette and lighting it up as she walk to the window before opening it "You know me, Mer. I'll tell nobody." Mateo replied, "Good." Mera smiled, nodding her head.