° 36

My eyes gaze over the girls, Kate and Clari as they run ashore, all in their matching bikinis. I wasn't watching them, just Clari and Kate. I dragged my eyes away from them to Mateo, who is laying beside me with sunglasses on. I stretch my arms before laying down beside him against the soft beach blanket as I closed my eyes.

"Can I talk to Mera? Alone?" I tilt my head to who may the speaker is and saw her, I saw Leah.

Mateo gave me a look, asking if he should leave but I shook my head and stand up. Leah seems to catch up with what I meant and started walking before I catch up with her. She was going in the direction where they are, and I am hoping we wouldn't stop there.

"How have you been?" Leah asked, "I am good." I replied and tried to smile at her "I'm glad to hear it." I saw how her hands tried to reach me but she stopped herself. I hope I know why cause I hope she knows how hard it is for me to talk to her after all these years.

"You never change." Leah said, "The appearance, I mean." She added.
"Oh?" I said, surprised by what she said "I thought I did." I managed to chuckle and it lightened up the awkwardness between the two of us "Not a single bit but your hair is shorter." Leah smiled.

"I'm sorry about what happened here a few days ago. You know, when I approach you when you're not feeling well."

We passed by them and I knew they were looking at me.

"It is alright. I do not expect everyone to see if I am hurt."

"I miss you, Mera." We look into each other's eyes and I knew she was trying to find something, something familiar "I wasn't the way I used to be anymore, Leah." I stopped at my track, making her stop. My words seem to throw her off guard by the visible emotion on her face "I am not your best friend from six years ago." I tried to lower my voice and I knew what I said is harsh but it is the truth.

"Astraea O'Dell is dead-" I was cut off by a loud shout, calling my name over and over again. I snapped my head towards where the girls is and saw Clari running fast towards me "AUNT MERA! AUNT MERA!" Clari called desperately and there I felt my heart dropped.

"Clari." That's the only word that left my mouth as I ran towards Clari "What is it?!" I asked when I saw her crying and her hands were shaking "It's Kate, she's missing." The girls come out of the sea, hairs soaking wet like they swam deeper.

"There's a big wave and we lost her." Jen explained, pushing the wet hair out of her face "Fuck."

Before I could drive in the sea, someone hold my wrist tightly and I thought for a second my arm broke. I snapped my head towards the person who was holding my hand and saw a familiar face "No! stay here! The wave is getting bigger, you will only put yourself in danger." It was Embry. Embry.

"What am I supposed to do?! I'm not going to let my niece drown!" I screamed at his face, angry at him for stopping me but not just because of that "Paul is working on it." Embry explained as he continue pulling me out of the water "Do you think one person could find her?!" I asked in disbelief before pulling my arm out of his grip and walking away from him.

Mateo is trying to get Clari to calm down cause she is crying now, even shaking. I walked over to her. Me panicking wouldn't help her calm down.

I took Clari to my arm and hugged her tightly as she cried on my shoulder.

A few minutes later, I spotted someone coming out of the water with a little girl on his arm. Kate is on his arm but she wasn't unconscious.

He placed her down the sand and start asking if she is okay. I quickly kneeled to her, pulling her close to me.

Kate didn't respond as she started crying. She must have been so scared. I should have watched her and if I did, this wouldn't happen. I should have never left and kept my eyes on her cause if I did, I would see the waves and figured out it will wash her away.