° 46

I'm tired, every fucking day.

I started working and each day I was tired, Aunt Coraline is getting sicker day by day and I couldn't do anything about it.

she doesn't want me to do anything about it, she doesn't want to take her meds and instead made me read to her every night. Every night I stayed with her for hours and read her favorite book of all time.

Someone knocked on my door and instantly knew it was Mateo by the way he was banging on the door "I'm busy." I said as I massage my temple, I've been staring at the screen for hours now and I'm starting to get dizzy.

Mateo flung the door open with a tray in his hand "Even for food?" Mateo asked "Yes, Mateo." I nodded before opening my eyes again and started reading the file.

He put the tray on the other table in my office and he didn't speak for a moment. I saw him standing as he stare at me from the corner of my eye "Mera, are you trying to kill yourself?" He asked suddenly.

"You don't even get out of this room and it almost looks like you're isolating yourself."

"I'm working, Mateo, that's what I do," I explained to him and he doesn't seem to understand. This is why I am here and this is my role as the owner.

"Mera, your billions of money wouldn't be gone if you take hours of rest!" Mateo explained and but I couldn't understand what he was saying. Rest is a foreign word to me.

Mateo sighed and seated in front of my desk "You know you can tell me anything." He sounds concerned, I knew he is and he couldn't help it. I glanced at him before slowly closing my laptop.

I stand up and walk over to the table where he put the tray and grabbed the champagne beside it, Mateo rolled his eyes when he say what I did. He's expecting I'm going to start eating what he brought me.

"When I changed my name, I thought I was free from Astraea, but it turns out I wasn't who i thought i was."

"Hemera Blanchette is great, don't you think?" I asked him, wondering why Hemera is my name cause Aunt Coraline choose the name.

"Aunt Coraline, you want me?" Astraea asked as she opened the door and saw Coraline "Yes, Astraea, I do." Coraline said, standing up from her seat.

Astraea nodded before coming inside her Great Aunt's office

Coraline walks over to her before circling her and looking at her up and down "You have a bad posture." Coraline sighed at the sight in front of her, she was sure once her 'friends' saw this girl in this kind of posture, they would laugh at her "Do not slouch," Coraline softly hit her at the back, making her straighten her body.

Coraline nodded at the sight. If she wanted to be the heir, she must learn "You'll be a lady and you'll be a Blanchette." Coraline told her, "What do you mean about I'll be a Blanchette?" Astraea questioned, she knows she was already a Blanchette but by blood only.

"Starting from now on, you'll be Hemera Blanchette and forget what you used to be." Coraline walked over to her desk and pulled something out of one of the drawers "You told me you don't want to Astraea and you don't have to be."

"you have a great name, Mera." Mateo smiled at me "I know." I chuckled, drinking the whole glass of champagne "But I can't say the same about me." I muttered.

Mateo sighed before putting his hand on his lap and standing up and walking towards me "You're greater than the great, Mera."

"Then, why do people keep lying and leaving me?" I asked him and hoping he does have an answer like he always does "Because they know they don't deserve you, they know you are far better than them and they can't handle that." Mateo's words always help, they always helped me heal.

Just like him and his words used to heal me.

I am far better than them.

But, why do I feel so miserable and so broken?

I gave him a faint smile before pouring the glass another champagne. I can't feel but be disappointed in myself. I've always been so smart, always on top but I let them fool me like that.

I'm supposed to be the great Hemera Blanchette everyone else expected me to be. I'm supposed to make Aunt Coraline proud and happy and I'm supposed to be her greatest legacy.

But, I couldn't do it. Probably because I am weak, just like what they told Astraea.

"oh, look, there's the ugly witch." Margaret laughed with her friend, Zia. "Hey, Astraea, what shampoo do you use? So I can avoid it."

Astraea continue to look at the floor as she walked past the two and run to the bathroom to look at herself and cry.

She couldn't defend herself, she can't. Her mother would be angry and slap her many times if she got called to the principal office again just because she fought back.

Astraea didn't notice that they followed her to the room "Hey, freak, why are you crying?" Zia asked, cornering her so she couldn't run away from them "You're so weak." Margaret said as she pushed Astraea against the wall.

"Champagne wouldn't help you, my friend." Mateo snatched the champagne from my hand "Why do you even care about me drinking? honestly, Mateo, I don't know anymore." I rolled my eyes at him, annoyed "I'm here to take care of you just like how you take care of me when I needed you the most," Mateo said, cupping myself so I could look at him.

"You needed me and even if you don't ask for my help, I'll always be here for you." He added "But, you must find your own happiness, you must be your own priority." I said to him.

"But at times like this, you're my first priority cause you're my sister, Mera."

I collapse in his arm, sobbing "I just wanted to be loved." I said between sobs as Mateo hugged me tightly "And for them to be honest." People will always lie to save themselves even if it means letting others drown.

"Is it really that hard?" I cried.

I'm supposed to be better than everyone else but here am I drowning in champagne and my own sorrow.