Chapter 2 - An unwanted gift

Wesley Porter

"So, did you score?"

I finish lacing my skates before I look up at JD.

Joshua 'JD' Hartford is the captain of the UNI Lions. He's a straight shooter when it comes to dealing with conflict and takes no shit from anyone. He has our backs with Coach, but on more than one occasion, he's held us back just to yell at us. Hockey is his life when he's here. But let him out in the world and he's one of the biggest fuckboys I've seen.

"Nah, Chloe showed up just as we were leaving." I try to ignore his exasperated look as I grab my shoulder pads and do them up.

He sighs dramatically. "And, let me guess, you dumped everything at the sight of her and let her toy with you like the bitch you are."

"Fuck you. Chloe and I had something special." I grab my elbow pads and jam them on. It still irks me that the guys seem to have something against Chloe. We were together for over a year, and I've known her for a lot longer.

"Had, Wes. The operative word is had. Whatever it was, it's over now. She's moved on, and so should you."

"She hasn't moved on." I grab my jersey and put it on.

"You're delusional if you think she hasn't found someone else."

"We're on a break. We agreed it was for the best."

JD shakes his head as he grabs his helmet. "Give it up, Wes. You need to forget about her."

I take a deep breath before putting on my gloves.

Gloves on, ice and movement.

I center myself and shake off JD's words. The gloves are on. Now it's about the ice under my feet. My thoughts are on fine tuning every part of my body, reading the other players' movements and doing my job. Gloves on, ice and movement.

It doesn't matter that this is just a practice session. Every minute on the ice matters. Every minute can make or break my future. And I'm determined to make it. Ever since my uncle got me my first pair of skates, the ice has been mine.

I move to the practice rink and let everything else go. I have another opportunity to make sure my dreams come true. Nothing will stand in the way of that.

At the end of the session, I notice my uncle talking to Coach. I grab a drink before I skate over toward them.

"Wes," my uncle beams and I relax. He must be satisfied with what he's seen.

"Tom," I nod at him.

"Great work today, Wes." Coach gives me a nod before turning to my uncle. "Let me know next time you're in town, we'll have dinner."

"Count on it." The two men shake hands.

"What's going on?" I ask when it's just the two of us. My uncle actually showing up to practice unannounced could go either way. His money is the only reason I even have a chance at making my dream come true. I owe him a lot, but he also expects a lot.

"I spoke to your father. He told me your car died."

I nod. When I left for UNI, my dads bought me a car so I wouldn't have to worry about getting to and from practice. Money was tight at the moment due to a health scare, but they did the best they could. The car ran fine for the first few months, but then the troubles started. Last week it finally died completely.

"Yeah, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did."

"Well, I wouldn't want you to spend too much time worrying about that." Tom brings out a set of keys and holds them out to me.

"What's this?"

"It's a gift. No. It's a way to secure my investment. I can't have the next pro hockey player taking the bus or begging for rides."

Tom played hockey professionally for over a decade. He never made it to the NHL. That dream of his now rests on my shoulders.

I remove my glove and reach out for the keys.

"It's nothing fancy, nothing new. But I had my mechanic look it over and it should last you until you graduate. It's parked near the player entrance so you can't miss it."

"Thanks." I stare at the keys. "I don't know what to say."

"Say that you'll focus on what's important. And judging by what I saw on the ice, you really need to work on your agility."

Every time he sees me play, he finds something I could be doing better. It's infuriating, but I know he's right. He lives and breathes hockey.

"I'll add some more exercises to my routine."

"Good. Now is the time to build all the basic skills."

"I know."

He places a hand on my shoulder. "I only want the best for you. Speaking of, I heard there's some issue between you and my goddaughter."

Around us, the ice has emptied.

"Yeah, Chloe and I broke up."

"Huh." He lets his hand drop and squints at me. "Well, you're young. I'm sure you'll work it all out and be back together in no time. You need someone like Chloe. She knows what it takes to be a professional athlete. And her dad could really be an asset to you in the future. Dating the daughter of a former NHL player will open a lot of doors."

"I think it might be over this time."

"Don't be silly. You know how important it is to have a supportive partner. I'm sure whatever happened, you'll both be able to forgive and forget. Beg her for forgiveness if you have to."

Chloe's dad and Tom played together for about a year before he got picked up by the NHL, leaving Tom behind. But their friendship remained throughout the years.

"I should get changed. I think Coach wants to show us some game footage," I say and hold up the keys. "Thanks for the car. It's going to be a big help."

"I'll try to make it to some of your games, since I know your parents won't. Support is important. Remember that."

I nod and skate off to catch up with my teammates.

"Was that your uncle?" Liam Greenfield and Ethan Preston are waiting for me in the locker room. Liam and Ethan have been inseparable since they first met freshman year. This is the second year we're living together. Me, Ethan, Liam, JD and Brick share a house not too far from campus. Brick is our goalie, Dominic Braker.

"You know it was," I say and start removing my gear. Tom means well, I know he does, but he sometimes makes it seem like I couldn't make it on my own and that bothers me. Maybe because it's true.

"Are any of his friends stopping by?" Ethan's eyes are practically shining. He loves hockey. Not just playing but watching, keeping track of players, games and wins.

"No." I try to put an end to the conversation, but Liam notices the car keys I tossed beside me.

"What's this? Did your uncle come bearing gifts?"

"Yeah, he heard about my car."

"What kind is it?" He grabs the key.

"He didn't say. It's just something to get me from point A to point B."

"Is it outside?"

When I nod, Liam and Ethan, already showered and dressed, hurry away with the key. They both seem much more excited about the car than I am. Maybe because to them it's just a new car. To me, it's another item on the long list of debt my uncle holds over me.