Chapter 49 - Public declaration

Lydia

There's a lot of people in the Den as I enter. The hockey team has another public skate today and many of them are hanging out, waiting for it to start. I ignore them all and make my way to the store.

I've almost reached safety when something blocks my path. Someone.

I look up at Wes' stupidly handsome face. There's a twinge in my heart and all the feelings I've been trying to repress come bursting through the surface. Like bubbles determined to take me down.

My eyes scan his jaw. His cheekbone. His mouth. I can't tell if I want to kiss him or slap him more. I know I want to do both. But it's impossible to say which urge would win if I gave in.

There was no actual way I was going to avoid him today, was there? Some silly part of me thought maybe I could go the entire shift without being close to him.

With a shallow, ragged breath, I try to walk past him. But he blocks my path again. He loves doing that.

"Lydia," he says and my heart jumps.

I love hearing my name on his lips. The way he tastes my name and offers it up to me.

"Let me go, Wes." My voice is weak and I hate it.

"I need you to listen to me."

Need? He needs me to listen? After all he's done, he needs me to stand here and let him tell me how he's back with Chloe and how I'll always be special to him. Or maybe he'll tell me it was just a fling and now it's over.

"Why should I?" I cross my arms and hug my elbows. "I think your actions have made your feelings perfectly clear." I force myself to meet his eyes and the world stops around us. "All I was to you was a bit of fun before you went back to your ex." The laugh that comes out is nervous, almost hysterical. "I really thought you had more backbone than to go back to someone who cheated on you. But I guess not."

With shaking hands, I push my way past him again. I'm done here. I've told him what I need to and now I just want to be away from him. Because being so close to him, being able to smell him, to reach out and touch him... It hurts.

His hand shoots out and grabs my wrist gently. Lightning strikes down my arm and I can't breathe. His touch is what my body craves and at the same time, it burns and stings all the way to my heart.

"I'm not getting back with Chloe. The man that was with us at the restaurant was my uncle. He's the one paying, so I can do this." He gestures to the Den. "Tom is the one that set us up. He has this strange obsession with us getting together."

"Good for you," I snarl. "You have your family's blessing." I push back the tears and try to free myself from his grip.

"Lydia, I'm not getting back with her. I don't want her."

I raise my voice, refusing to listen to him. "Let go of me." I can't take this. I'm about to cry and I just want to be away from him.

"Listen to me. I'm telling you-"

"There's nothing you can say," I yell. Because in my mind he's lost to me.

He lets go of my wrist, and I notice all the people watching us. Everyone is gaping. The entire hockey team has stopped what they're doing and are staring.

The Den is silent as a few of the players move closer. Through the tears, I can see the looks on their faces. They think I'm bad for him. They don't even have to say anything. It's so obvious.

"Wes," JD says calmly. "I think you better get away from her."

I inhale sharply as it all comes crashing down. My heart breaks at the thought of not being good enough for him. They all know it.