Chapter 14 - And the thunder rolls

Wes

I wish the last customer a good evening and arrange some hats on the display. It's just about closing time and the lobby outside is empty. The only sound is the rain hitting the windows and some distant thunder.

Lydia is nowhere to be found. I sigh. She must have snuck to the back again. I turn off the main light as a signal that we're closed and go to find her. Before I get there, she appears in the door to the backroom.

"There you are. You could at least have helped me out here. You're just as responsible as I am."

I glance at her. She's paler than usual.

"Help you with what?" She glares at me and puts her fists on her hips. "There's no people here."

"There are lots of things you could have done." I'm just about to list them when thunder rolls over us and Lydia jumps. Her face pales even more, and for a moment I think she's going to pass out.

I blink. The fire is gone from her eyes and she's panting.

I reach out a hand. "Are you ok?"

Her hand grabs mine. Her attention is on the storm outside.

"Lydia?"

Her panting is more labored and she whimpers. Immediately she clamps a hand over her mouth as if to bring the sound back. Her other hand is squeezing mine.

"Lydia? What's wrong?"

Lightning streaks across the sky and she squeezes her eyes shut. Shit. She looks... scared.

"Tell me what's wrong." What the fuck am I supposed to do with this? She doesn't look hurt or anything. A tear escapes her eye and I sigh and step closer. I move slowly, not quite sure what she needs.

When she doesn't protest, I put my free arm around her shoulders. With a whimper, she lets go of my hand and puts both her arms around me. She sinks into me so trustingly, so naturally, as if she expects me to take away all the hurt.

I hesitate a bit and then put my other arm around her as well. Then I hold her.

She shakes and clings to me like a kitten. Her tears roll off her cheeks and onto my shirt, where she's pressing her face into me.

I'm not sure how long we stand there. But I hold her. Her hair smells like coconut and lavender and I inhale it as I wait for her to come to her senses. I should ask her what shampoo she uses.

Without conscious thought, I find myself stroking her hair. It's soft and silky. She burrows further into me, and I clear my throat.

"Lydia?"

She inhales and goes still.

"What's wrong?"

She's not going to tell me. Her breathing has calmed down and the tears have stopped. At some point, she gripped my shirt with both hands. As if she needed to make sure I wasn't going anywhere. But I can tell that whatever spell she was under is about to be broken. I'm no good to her anymore. Maybe she was scared of the thunder and I was a wall she could hide behind. But she's not going to tell me about it, because she doesn't need me for anything more.

I stroke her back to impart some comfort to her. Her hands flatten against my chest and she pats down the creases she's made in my shirt. Every movement she makes presses her body against mine.

I inhale, and the scent of her fills me. I stare up at the ceiling, cursing my body for reacting to her. Staying as still as possible, I pray that she won't notice and think I'm some sick bastard.

But she moves against me, and I know the exact moment she notices my erection. Her hands move over my chest, slowly. I let my hand move down her back, just as slowly. Until I'm gripping her ass.

She lifts her head, and our eyes lock. Her hand moves up to my shoulder and she holds on to it. Hard. I move my other hand down to her ass and squeeze her closer. Our eyes dance in the silence, daring the other to break away first.

When her body moves against me, there is no hiding my hard cock. She doesn't seem to mind. Her eyes darken and her lips open. So I move my hand up to her shirt. I trail my fingers on her bare skin, up along her side. Until my thumb finds her bra.

I stare at her face, at her eyes, looking back at me, as I move my hand. My thumb brushes over the lace of her bra, all the way along her soft curve to her nipple. Her hard nipple. She gasps.

She's as turned on as I am. I tease her nipple with my thumb. Sweeping over it gently. Barely touching it.

I lean closer. She gets up on her toes. My eyes are firm on her mouth as I go in for a kiss.

A badly whistled tune breaks the moment. Lydia's eyes go wide as she takes half a step away from me.

"You're still here? I thought you would have left by now." Kevin's voice interrupts everything that was about to happen and I curse internally as I drag my hand away from Lydia's breast.

"We're just finishing up some things," I say and regret the cool air that envelops me as Lydia steps away to fix her top.

She disappears into the back.

"Looks like the thunder has stopped," Kevin says.

"That's good. Well, we should probably lock up and leave."

"See you next week, then. Oh, and be sure to crush those otters."

"Will do."

I go in the back to grab my bag. I don't suppose there's any chance we could pick up where we left off.

Lydia is zipping up her jacket.