Chapter 47 - Both?

Wes

I stare at the charger as I unplug my phone. Would it have made a difference? If my charger hadn't stopped working? I could have texted her again. I could have called her.

Seeing Lydia outside of the restaurant was one of the worst moments of my life. The look on her face was pain. Every time I close my eyes, I see it. The shocked expression, with tears glinting in her eyes. Because I hurt her.

I should have told my uncle no. When Chloe showed up at the restaurant, I should have left. I did my best to convince Tom that I have no interest in Chloe.

It wasn't enough. I should have done more.

But I didn't. And I'm a fucking asshole for not walking out earlier.

Instead, I listened to my uncle talk about my life as if it was his to decide about. I sat next to Chloe as she spoke to Tom about our future, as if I had no say.

It wasn't until Lydia's face ripped me out of my own thoughts that I saw it. I was giving them too much, and it got her hurt. Which is the last thing I want.

As soon as she disappeared, I got up to follow her. When I got outside, she was already on the bus. I managed to send off a single text to her before my phone died.

By the time I got back home and the phone charged enough that I could try again, she had already blocked me.

My feet are heavy as I bring the charger to JD's room. I knock and wait a few seconds before opening the door.

"Thanks for this," I say and toss the charger onto the bed next to him. He grumbles and raises an arm to shield his eyes.

"What time is it?"

"Early, before nine."

"Fuck, go back to sleep, Porter." He turns on his side and pulls up the blanket. "We're going to meet up with Aaron later and watch the game. You want to come?"

"Can't, I have to meet my uncle." And tell him to stay out of my life. And maybe lose his support.

JD grunts. I leave him to his sleep.

I head downstairs and work through my stretching routine. I should have told Tom no earlier. There are a lot of things I should have done.

Once I'm finished stretching out my muscles, I chug a water bottle. My uncle is waiting for me at a restaurant. So I find my car keys where JD left them and head out.

At every crossing, I have to stop myself from taking the roads that lead to Lydia. I got up several times during the night, ready to go to her apartment and beg her for forgiveness. I don't know what stopped me. Maybe the fact that we haven't even gone on a date yet.

I hit the steering wheel in frustration. There has to be a way to make this right.

When I stop at the restaurant, I see my uncle waiting inside. I shouldn't be here. I should be with her. My future is her.

But my dream, all I've ever worked for, is here. I get out of the car and start walking. Tom holds the keys to my dream. But is it worth it if Lydia isn't by my side?

The thought has me hesitating, and my steps falter. I want her by my side. But do I want her more than hockey? Can I have both? I need both.

Tom notices me and waves and I take a deep breath. I'll figure out a way to have both.

"Wes," a cheery voice says as I'm about to enter.

"Chloe." I give her a quick nod.

"I had a great time last night." She's smiling as if my world isn't breaking. "It was so much fun catching up with Tom. Don't you think?"