Chapter 5 - Breakfast with the boys

Wes

Living with four other hockey players can be great, but it also means being kept awake by the sounds of JD fucking his latest conquest, who happens to be a screamer. And being jolted awake when Liam and Ethan stumble in at four in the morning.

I wake up with a headache. What the fuck happened last night? I thought we were hitting it off, but apparently, she had some ulterior motive.

I groan as my feet hit the floor and bury my face in my hands. That bitch planned it. I didn't want to believe it, but the look on her face as she left said it all. For some reason, she wanted to get me in trouble.

The smell of food wafts into my room and my stomach growls. With a sigh, I get dressed and head downstairs. It's late, almost lunchtime. Brick is in the kitchen making scrambled eggs with vegetables.

Brick keeps to himself most of the time, but he loves cooking. The rest of us toss some money in his direction for food and he buys groceries and makes most of our meals. There are almost always healthy meals ready to heat in the fridge and snacks in the pantry. I sometimes feel like he's much too responsible for a college kid. Even if he's a year older than me.

Like all of us, Brick lives for hockey. But his interest is in a long healthy career, so he's studying sports medicine and nutrition on the side. Hockey isn't just a sport to him, it's a lifestyle. Almost an obsession.

"Good morning," I say.

"Morning." He tosses a bag of whole-grain bread on the counter in front of me and I take out four slices and place them in the toaster. There's a whole plethora of spreads in the fridge, so I get out the jam and peanut butter.

As the bread toasts, footsteps hurry down the stairs. Brick places the pan with the eggs on the island and I reload the toaster.

"Morning." Ethan rubs his eyes as he sits down.

"Brick, I love you." JD comes down and instantly grabs a plate and starts serving himself. Brick grunts in response and puts out a bowl of fruit.

"Where's the screamer?" I ask, shuffling eggs and peppers into my mouth.

"Oh, she left." JD grins. "You know I don't like it when they stay."

"You're such an ass."

He shrugs. "We had an understanding."

"Nobody woke me up," Liam complains as he hurries to grab what's left of the eggs.

"You know the rule." I spread some jam on my toast and take a bite. The rule is that Brick cooks what he cooks when he cooks, and we take it or leave it.

"So?" Liam asks when he seats himself next to us. "Did you score?"

I shake my head. I came so close. Or so I thought. I can still smell her on my skin. And the way her fingers brought my whole body to life.

"Turns out she was after something else."

"What happened?" Ethan asks and grabs the milk.

"Whatever happened, I hope you used protection," JD says. "Party princess has been around."

"So have you," Brick says coolly without looking up.

"Yeah, and that's why I always use protection. Wes here has barely fucked anyone in the last year."
"I had a girlfriend," I say.

"Precisely. And either you two were the quietest fuckers ever, or she hardly ever put out."

I decline to answer that.

"So what happened?" Ethan asks again.

I sigh. It's going to get out, anyway.

"She said she wanted to do it in the Den."

JD laughs. Ethan and Liam look like they want to high five each other. Brick seems uninterested.

"And you didn't?" JD asks.

"She didn't actually want to have sex at all. She just wanted me in there so I would get in trouble."

"How'd you get in trouble?"

"Her friends called Coach, and he came by and found me." They all stare at me. "Wearing only my boxers."

There's a moment of stunned silence before they all break out into laughter. I continue eating as they get the worst of it out, including some jokes about being cold and tearing up the ice.

When the laughter finally dies down, Brick speaks. "You're not getting kicked off the team, are you?"

The change in the mood around the island is instant. Four pairs of worried eyes focus on me and I swallow.

"I don't know." I had barely allowed myself to think that far. That's a what-if that doesn't exist in my world. "I have a meeting with Coach and the dean on Monday morning."

"Fuck, man," JD says. "Do you want me to go with?"

"Nah, I'll manage. Besides, she will also be there."

"Did you at least get to feel her up?" Liam asks, and I give him a glare.

The conversation moves on. I do my best to participate, but my mind wanders back to the feel of her in my arms, how sweet her lips tasted and how smooth her skin was as I slid my fingers under her skirt.

Fuck it all. That bitch isn't worthy of a single minute of my time. I break free of the memories and ask Brick if he wants to come with me to the gym. We both like getting in a session on the weekends and possibly being kicked off the team is no excuse to slack.