Chapter 9 - Confusing attraction

Wes

Everything I've worked for is tethering on the edge of an abyss. And it's all because of her.

I glare across the store to where Lydia is hanging jerseys. I can't believe my future is in the hands of a party princess who's probably never worked a day in her life. It infuriates me that she has no regard for me or even her studies.

And yet, I can't stop looking at her. The way her hair shimmers as she moves. The eyes that looked up at me with defiance when I held her against the wall.

Fucking hell. Why did I do that? I've never in my life met someone that drives me as crazy as she does.

I look over just as she drops a hanger and bends over to pick it up. Her skirt rides up, just a bit, and my pants immediately get uncomfortable. My hands were on her smooth skin. And if we hadn't been interrupted...

How far would she have gone? She was into it. I know she was. I could feel it in every ounce of my being.

If we had kept going, would she have kissed me? Gone down on her knees? Let me touch her? Taste her?

I bite my teeth together so hard they might crack. It's for the best that we were stopped. I open a box of little flags with our logo on them and start placing them on a shelf.

It's good it didn't go any further. She's vile and evil, and it probably would have sucked.

I glance over at her again. She's pulling out her phone and reading something. Even now, she can't focus on the task at hand. This is exactly why I'm glad nothing happened.

She smiles at her phone and starts typing something and the air leaves my lungs. Ok, fine. She's pretty when she smiles. But that changes nothing.

I pull my attention away from her and back to the flags. Was that another guy that messaged her? Is she slacking off work to flirt with some loser?

I look around for Ms Tina, but she's still in the back. So I put the box of flags down and head over to Lydia just as she puts her phone away.

"You're not here to mess about on your phone." My voice startles her, and she spins around.

"What?"

"You're supposed to be working." I cross my arms because something about her makes me feel... exposed.

"I am working." She squints up at me and all signs of her smile are gone.

"You were on your phone."

"For like two seconds. And it's not like this is an actual job."

I can't stop myself. I take another step towards her so I can tower over her. Forcing her to bend her head back to look at me.

"It's the only thing keeping us here at UNI, so you're right, it's not an actual job. It's much more important. Your future is at stake here. Don't you realize that? Don't you care about your future?"

She rolls her eyes and shakes her head slightly, and the scent of her shampoo wafts over me like a sledgehammer. It's coconut and lavender. And her.

My arms drop to my sides as she looks down at the jerseys she was hanging.

"I know how important it is," she says, and her voice is softer. But it almost doesn't register with me because she's breathing hard and from this angle I'm staring straight down her top.

"Besides, this conversation has kept me from working far more than one message from my sister."

Too late, I realize she's looking at me again.