Chapter 13 - Approaching storm

Lydia

The following day, I grab a large mug of coffee and sit down at Dirty with Trisha and Pres.

"What is up with this weather?" Trisha asks and glances out the window. It's a dreary day that matches my mood perfectly.

"I know," Pres says. "It's supposed to be sunny."

"I think they said a storm is coming," Trisha looks out again.

"Storm?" My eyes go wide. "When?"

Trisha brings out her phone and takes a moment to answer. "Tomorrow afternoon."

"You know what that means." Pres smiles at us. "Wine and movies."

I sigh. "I can't. I have that stupid work-thing."

"But we always do wine and movies." Trisha blinks at me.

I swallow. It became a tradition last year, one I was immensely grateful for. Whenever the weather was bad, I'd go to Trisha's place and she and Pres would do what they could to distract me.

"Can't you take a day off?" Pres asks.

I shake my head. "Wes would probably throw a fit."

"But it's a storm." Trisha places a hand on mine and, for once, I see the care in her eyes. They're the only ones that know how badly storms affect me.

"Unless it gets bad enough they close the Den, I don't think that's an excuse."

"What are you going to do?" Pres squints at me.

"I guess I'll just have to get through it."

"You could come over afterward," Trisha offers.

I shake my head. "I'm sure it'll be fine. It's just a storm. It can't be any worse than being stuck with Wes." I grimace.

Trisha rolls her eyes. "Are you still on about that? He can't be that bad."

"I wouldn't be in this situation if it wasn't for you, so the least you can do is listen when I want to bitch about him."

Trisha squirms in her seat. "Fine. I am sorry you got caught."

I pick up a napkin and tear off little pieces. "It's fine. It was my idea."

Trisha perks up. "Oh, I met someone."

"When?"

"Last night, at Lucky's. This guy started talking to me."

"Wait," Pres says. "You were serious about that? He's not even good looking. I thought you gave him a fake number to get rid of him."

"He's cute. And yeah, I gave him my real number. We've been texting, and he wants to see me again."

"When have you been texting?" Pres asks. "You only met him last night."

I lean back and sip my coffee.

Trisha blushes. "This morning. And last night. He wants to pick me up for a date tonight."

"He's moving fast," I say with a smile.

Pres rolls her eyes. "He probably wants to get to her before she loses her beer goggles." She turns to me. "So, do you want to do something tonight, then?"

"I have to work on an assignment."

Pres groans and I almost laugh.

"Maybe you could work on your assignments as well."

"Why? It's not like I even need the degree. Daddy will get me a job if I want one."

"It's still good to have a degree."