Chapter 35 - At the party

Lydia

Trisha and Pres pick me up, and I put on a smile for them. This is what I know. This was my life last year. We make our way to the party. The music is blaring and as soon as we get in, someone directs us to the drinks.

I eagerly pour myself a large vodka tonic. Tonic because it's the first mixer I spot.

A few large gulps take away the edge of the pain. I need to dance. I need to drink more and dance. With the red cup that matches my dress above my head, I move to the dancefloor. The music fills me, and I let it take me. My body moves to the beat as I scan the crowd.

I skip a beat when I spot the hockey guys. That's JD and Ethan. That means... Wes steps up next to them. He has a drink in hand and is smiling, looking out over the crowd, searching for someone. My heart flutters when he sees me. His eyes narrow at the guy dancing next to me. I raise my eyebrow at him and he slowly takes a sip as he studies me from head to toe. It's almost enough to make me tingle.

Someone touches his arm to get his attention and he turns away. The crowd engulfs him and I can breathe again. I almost smile.

I dance. I dance and finish my drink, keeping an eye out for Wes. I spot him a few times, but he's ignoring me.

When my cup is empty, and my feet hurt, I leave the dancefloor. I want to see him again. I make a lap of the rooms, looking for him. But he's nowhere to be found. I greet some people I know and stop to talk to them.

I love my red dress. It's a little slutty, and it gets me so many compliments. I repay the niceties and keep searching the rooms. I finally meet up with Pres and Trisha and we head for the kitchen.

The hockey guys are standing with some of the puck bunnies. As we arrive, they all raise their cups at Wes. I want to stop and ask them why they're cheering him, but he's made it perfectly clear I can't do that.

So I follow Pres as she pushes past them. She bumps into one of the puck bunnies, causing her to spill her drink. It almost looks like an accident.

"Skank," the puck bunny says as Pres ignores her.

I try to catch Wes' eye, but he's not looking in my direction.

"She is such a skank," one of the other puck bunnies says and glares at Pres.

"True," the first one says. "She's never earned anything of her own merit. It's all handies and daddy's money."

The other one laughs, and I put a hand on Pres' back to keep her from flying off the handle. I know she can hear them. They're making sure of it.

"Ignore them," I say.

"Hey," JD breaks in, "how about we find somewhere more quiet?"

The bunnies laugh. "Both of us?"

I roll my eyes.

"Why not? I'm sure I can satisfy you both if you let me."

There's an extraordinary amount of giggles and cheers as JD leaves with the two bunnies.

"He had to take two?" Ethan mutters just loud enough for me to hear, and I smile and reach for the cranberry juice. I mix it with vodka and step back so Trisha and Pres can get their drinks.

"What about them?" someone says. I glance back and he's pointing at us. I hold my breath. Is Wes going to say something?

"I wouldn't mind the brunette," one of them says and licks his lips. He's looking at Pres who's laughing at something Trisha said.

Trisha and Pres have their drinks, and I use all my willpower not to stare at Wes as we leave the room. Pres ignores them all. She has her sights set higher. But Trisha smiles. She just broke it off with Larry after he forgot her birthday, so she's on the market again.

We head to another room and I'm just about to sip my drink when someone bumps into me.

"Damnit," I say and stare down at my dress. It's all wet.

"Watch it," Trisha yells at the guy who bumped into me.

"Are you ok?" Pres asks.

"Fine," I sigh and try to shake some of the vodka cranberry off me.

"I think there are napkins in the kitchen," Pres says. Her eyes are roaming the room.

"I'll be right back," I say and sigh as I head back into the kitchen.

"Got your eye on anyone?" Ethan asks as I come in behind them.

"Lydia is looking hot af." I look up at the mention of my name. It's Jonathan, the blond viking. I hadn't even noticed he was here.

"She's a good fuck," someone says. My eyes pivot to Anders and I groan. He's a frat boy I hooked up with last year. "If you don't mind someone who's been around." He laughs and it anchors me in place.

The air is water and I can't take a breath. It's pressing in on me from every side. None of them have noticed me yet.

One of the hockey players blocking me moves and I spot Wes. Is he going to say something? It doesn't have to be much. Just something.

I wait as the laugh cuts through me. They're laughing at me and Wes is doing nothing.

"Is she really that good in bed?" Liam asks.

"I don't regret sleeping with her," Anders says. Wes does nothing. He doesn't even look up from his drink.

I push past the hockey players.

"I wish I could say the same," I say as I walk past Anders and the others. "But honestly, I have no memory of your performance."

There's a collective ooh and someone says "burn," but I ignore them all and head for the napkins. I grab a stack and glare at Wes as I leave the room. He never raises his eyes.