Chapter 16 - Wet?

Lydia

"I really shouldn't be here," I yell at Trisha over the music.

"Come on, you haven't been out in ages. Besides, we're celebrating." She dances away from me and I can't exactly argue with her on the dancefloor. So I raise my arms and close my eyes. And move.

I look good tonight. I'm wearing black pants and a pink corset top and my hair is bouncing in waves around my shoulders.

I should be working on my extra credit. It's due this week. But it's Saturday night and I need a break. The UNI Lions crushed the River Otters a couple of hours ago. Now, the entire campus is celebrating.

So I dance with Trisha and Pres. Trisha is on the prowl again since the guy she went on a date with hasn't texted her back since.

"Let's get drinks," Pres yells and I grab Trisha to get her attention. We make our way out of the living room and find the kitchen.

"It's so hot here," Pres complains and pours vodka into a cup.

"You're wearing long sleeves," I point out.

"But it's cute."

"It is." I smile at her and grab my own red mug.

"Oh, daddy told me it's rainy season in Antigua right now." Pres pouts. "We could still go, though."

I nod at her and take in the room. My gaze slides over a guy dressed all in black. Our eyes meet and he smiles. I smile back and bring the drink to my lips.

"Maybe we could go some other time," I say without breaking eye contact with the guy.

"Maybe." Pres sighs. "I'm still trying to figure out how bad the weather gets there. I just really need a few days on the beach."

I lower my eyes and look back up. He's already walking over. He's a good-looking guy, not muscular. If I had to guess, I'd say he's more artistic. Not what I usually go for.

"I finally found you," he says as he stops in front of me.

"You were looking?" I raise an eyebrow.

"I've been searching for the most beautiful woman in here for a while."

His smile is wide and generous and there's a twinkle in his eyes, as if he's making fun of himself. He's full of confidence and I can't help but smile back.

"I'm Adrian." He holds out a hand and I shake it.

"Lydia."

My spine tingles and my eyes go to the men that just walked in. It's the hockey players. My stomach clenches as I spot Wes.

"So, Lydia, are you enjoying the music?"

"I... Yes." I pull my attention away from Wes and smile at Adrian. "It's different, but I like it."

He looks proud. "I'm glad to hear it."

I look up at him. "Oh, you're the DJ."

He laughs and nods. "I didn't think you noticed me."

I take a sip of my drink and almost choke when Wes appears in my line of sight. People rush up to congratulate him and his friends.

I cough and Adrian reaches out a hand to pat me gently on the back.

"You ok there?" he asks.

"I'm fine." There's no way I'm going to look at Wes. He's watching me. I know he is. I can feel it in my entire body. Determined to ignore it, I smile up at Adrian. "So, are you an Epsi?"