Chapter 22 - Confronting the past

Wes

It's another home game. We have all the advantages against this team. And yet, I can't get my mind in the game.

I keep removing my gloves, putting them back on and repeating my mantra: Gloves on, ice and movement. But the only movement I keep looking for is Lydia in the stands.

I thought maybe she would be here. I never asked her to come, but now that we're sleeping together, I thought maybe she would want to be here.

Jonathan is skating next to me, and the sight of her smiling at him flashes through my mind. Before I know what's going on, I slam into him, pressing him against the glass.

"Sorry," I say and quickly detangle myself. But the way she put her hand on his arm is making my blood boil.

"What the fuck, Wes?" Jonathan says. "We're on the same team."

I give him a shrug and try to get back into the game. It's my job to make sure the other team doesn't get a chance to score. I follow their movements, but a blond head in the audience steals my attention. I run my eyes across the masses until I find it. It's not her.

The opposition makes a break for it and I get into position. With some quick movements, I take control of the puck. Jonathan is open to my right. I glare at him and pass to JD instead. He has to fight to keep the puck, but he gets it out of the defensive zone.

I fight to keep my mind on the game and not the audience and barely avoid making any more mistakes for the rest of the game. As we leave the ice, I look over the audience again. She isn't there. I grimace as I spot Chloe, though. I could do without her being here.

"What the hell was that performance out there, Porter?" Coach asks as we're removing our gear. "Did you forget how to play?"

"Sorry, Coach," I say and stare at my skates. "It won't happen again."

"You bet your ass it won't happen again. Out there, your head needs to be in the game. If you can't manage that, you'll have no shot in the big leagues. That goes for all of you." He turns to the rest of the room and dishes out his usual admonishments.

I get dressed as quickly as possible. What if she was here, and I just didn't see her? Maybe she'll be waiting for me outside.

I grab my things and tell JD I might catch up with them at Lucky 13 later, but I need to go home first.

I hurry out to the parking lot. The usual amount of puck bunnies are hanging around, but my eyes skip over them.

"Great game," Chloe says as she comes up to me.

"What do you want?"

I have my car keys ready.

"I need a favor."

I sigh. "No, Chloe. You can't keep coming to me for favors."

"But it's about Max. I need you to take her tomorrow. Until Sunday evening."

"I know you cheated on me." I can't even look at her. A year of my life. That's how much time I wasted, thinking we were in love.

"What?" She laughs, but it's hollow and sounds fake to my ears.

"You heard me. I know you cheated on me while we were together."

"That's a lie. I don't know who told you that, but I would never."

"So you weren't at Fredman's hooking up with musicians?"

She's stunned. "What? No, of course not."

"I know you were. There's no point in trying to deny it."

She rolls her eyes. "Fine, but everyone knows musicians don't count. Everyone sleeps around a little."

"I didn't. I was faithful to you."

She scoffs. "You cheated on me with your beloved hockey. Do you know what it's like to never come first? To have to make all your plans around practices and away games? Every time I wanted to go out, you made excuses."

"They're not excuses. Hockey is my future, and I thought you would be more supportive. After all, you grew up with hockey."

"Yeah, and I saw what that did to my mom. I thought you would be different."

I shake my head. "It doesn't matter. It's not the same as cheating. I can't believe you thought it would be ok to sleep with someone else while we were together."

She doesn't even look apologetic. It's as if none of it matters to her now.

"You know," I pull a hand through my hair. "I thought we were in love."

"We were. But sometimes one person isn't enough."

"You were enough for me." I can't take this anymore. I walk away.

"Wait." She runs after me. "What about Max?"

"What about your current boyfriend? Maybe he can look after her?"

Her cheeks taint slightly pink. "I have no idea what you're talking about. All I know is that Max needs you."

Sighing, I rub my temple. "I have an away game tomorrow. I can't take her. Can't one of your friends look after her?"

"No. I already asked. You're my last hope. There's no one else."

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. I count to ten. "Fine. I'll figure something out. But you can't keep doing this. You have to make other arrangements."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you. I promise I will." She smiles and for a moment, I see the woman I first fell in love with, the happy woman that was so eager to wear my number at the games. I had our entire future planned out. But I guess life doesn't work out according to plan.

"I'll bring her by tomorrow morning." She's already backing away, as if she's afraid I'm going to change my mind.

I'm going to have to find someone to help me out. The bus leaves at two and we won't be back until late at night. That's too much time for a puppy to be alone. I just have to find someone...