Chapter 40 - Breakdown

Lydia

On Tuesday, I'm exhausted. Pres struck out with JD on Saturday, so she's been complaining about him ever since. Trisha is putting some kind of ultimatum to Larry and he seems to be jumping through hoops for her.

Between listening to their problems and not thinking about Wes, I feel like my brain is about to implode.

That's probably why I miss the weather warnings. It's not until the clouds gather on Tuesday that I check my app. But it should be fine. There's only going to be some light rain and maybe some winds tonight. With a slight chance of thunder.

My concerns about the weather almost disappear when I spot Wes in the store. He looks just as good as ever. Meanwhile, I'm a mess. It took me an hour to do my make-up this morning, and it's only barely hiding the dark circles under my eyes.

I still don't know what happened at the game. Wes keeps his distance from me and doesn't speak to me unless it's necessary and work related. I catch him glancing at me a few times, but he quickly looks away.

Luckily, there's a steady trickle of customers and I'm getting good at my fake smile. I suppose that's a useful talent to have.

Especially if I want to work in broadcasting.

Throughout our shift, the rain slowly gets heavier. But it doesn't get bad until right before we close. It's pouring down out there and the wind has picked up.

My heart is beating a million miles a minute and my palms are sweaty as I stop at the entrance to the Den and look out at the curtain of rain. If the bus is late, I'm going to be drenched. But I can do this.

Even if I time it perfectly and run out just as it's arriving, I'm going to be soaked by the time I get on it. It's not a big deal. People are out in the rain all the time. There's not much helping it. At least I can take a hot shower and crawl under my blanket when I get home. I try to imagine the feeling as I crawl into a warm bed, but all it does is bring up memories of my bed with Wes in it.

Behind me, Wes finishes locking the store. I move to the side so he can pass, but he stops next to me.

"I can drive you home."

Ever the boy scout. "No, thanks."

"Don't be silly. You can't wait for the bus in this weather."

Thunder rolls across the sky, and I flinch. No. They said the thunder wouldn't start until later. I'm tired and sad and I don't need thunder right now. Not here. Not in front of Wes. Because all I want to do is curl up in bed and cry.

"I'll pull the car around," Wes says. "You wait here."

He opens the door before I can answer and the wind pebbles me with raindrops in the brief moment before he runs outside.

This is nothing. There's nothing to be afraid of. My breathing is ragged and I make an effort to calm it down as Wes pulls the car as close to the entrance as possible.

I take a deep breath. With shaking fingers, I push open the glass door and step into the rain. The cold wet drops hit my face, waking me up, and I sprint to the car.

Wes opens the door from the inside and I jump in next to him.

Thunder rolls again, and it's all too familiar. Suddenly, I'm back there and there's blood everywhere and rain hits me through the broken window.

All I can hear is the pounding of my blood and muffled words. I inhale, but it's not working. Far, far away, Wes is saying something, but all I hear is my own voice as I pleaded with my mom to sit up front. My own voice dooming them.