Chapter 18 - Anticipation

Lydia

To everyone else, it's a regular Wednesday. Classes go on like they always have. I meet up with Trisha and Pres for a quick lunch, keeping an eye on my phone. Just in case.

"...but at least the hotel has a pool," Pres says and looks at me.

"What?"

Pres sighs. "What is up with you? You've been distant all day."

Should I tell them? I look from Pres to Trisha and back again. Inhaling, I pull myself up and put on a smile.

"I'm sorry. Professor Turner cornered me earlier about the extra credit work."

"I don't see why you even bother with that." Pres stares at her salad while she's stabbing a piece of lettuce. "You could probably just redo the course next year if it's that important."

"Yeah," I chew on my sandwich. It doesn't really make sense. It's too early in the year for Professor Turner to assume I'll be failing. But she still has me doing all this extra stuff. I know my grades weren't great last year, but still. Maybe she's just anticipating that I'll fail? "I forgot to hand in the assignment."

"I thought you did it?" Trisha says.

"I did. I gave it to her today. But she kept me after class, lecturing to me about deadlines and respect and stuff."

Pres leans over the table and puts a hand on mine. "Honey, don't worry about it. You're pretty enough that you can get by on your looks. Just marry rich." She shrugs.

"I wish Larry was rich," Trisha sighs.

"You need to get over him." Pres gives her a stern look. "There are plenty of guys who would love to take you out."

"But I like him," Trisha complains.

"Larry is the guy you've been texting?" I ask, feeling like a horrible friend because I've been so obsessed with myself.

"Yeah. He asked me out again." Trisha's face lights up.

I shrug. "If you like him, you like him."

My thoughts wander to Wes. I do not like him. But I'm pretty sure spending a night with him will scratch that itch I've been feeling lately.

"So, what are you doing tonight?" Pres asks. She's looking at me.

"Oh, not much. I need to work on an assignment. And I think Ellie wants to hang out." Neither is a lie. But it's not what I'll be doing. I'll be doing a certain cocky hockey player whose fingers have been on my mind, and my body, way too much lately.

The thought of what he did to me has me blushing and I'm praying nobody notices, when a feeling has me looking up.

Just entering the cafeteria is a bunch of hockey players. My eyes immediately find Wes in the crowd. They joke and laugh as they get in line to get their lunch.

As if he knows I'm there, Wes turns around. My cheeks redden a bit more at the look in his eyes. A small smirk curls his lips as he returns his attention to the line.

"So, I'm all by myself tonight?" Pres says.

I blink. Right, Trisha said something about meeting Larry.

"I'm sure you'll be fine," I say. "It's just one night."

Pres sighs.

A message comes through on my phone.

Can't wait for tonight.

I ignore it. I know he's looking at me, but I refuse to give him the satisfaction of returning the favor. A thought hits me. Is it a date? It's not a date, right? No. If it was a date, there would be food involved. There won't be. No food, no drinks. Just sex.

I swallow. And if it's bad? What if it's awkward and then we have to spend the next two months working together?

I glance over at him again. There's a tug in my stomach that tells me it won't be bad. Not with him. In fact, it might even be great.