Chapter 45 - Obstacle

Wes

Maybe I didn't fuck everything up? Every opportunity I get, I look over at her in the audience. She's with her friends, cheering and smiling. Tonight, I want to let the world know. I still can't believe she said yes. Hell, I can't believe I asked her out in the first place. But I did, and she said yes.

Next time, I want her to wear my jersey. My stomach tingles at the thought. But first, I have to win this game. I have to show her what I can do.

It's stupid. I'm a fucking ass for even thinking it, but I want her to see how good I am at what I do.

She should be wearing my number. I want her in a jersey that tells the world that she's mine. That I'm hers.

Maybe next time.

I force my head back in the game. There's no way I'll make a fool of myself in front of her. I wiggle my fingers. Gloves on, ice and movement.

I look at her after every goal. She's cheering and celebrating. She looks happy. I love seeing her happy.

When we win, the crowd goes wild. There are too many people there. I want to find her, but my teammates keep demanding my attention.

Once we're in the locker rooms, all I can think about is to get changed as quickly as possible so I can get to Lucky's where she's waiting. I practically rip my gear off and jump in the shower. When I get out, I can't stop smiling.

"What's up with you today?" JD asks. He's taking his time, getting ready to hit the shower.

"Nothing," I say. "Why?"

"Because you keep smiling."

"We just won."

He studies me for a while. "Nah, this isn't a hockey smile. This is something else."

"Fuck you," I say and check my locker.

I find my phone. Frowning, I realize it hasn't been charging. And there's no message. It doesn't matter, I'll see her in a little while.

I unplug and re-plug the charger. Nothing.

"Shit," I say. "My charger isn't working."

"Here," JD unplugs his own phone and hands me his. "Just hand it back later."

"Thanks." I plug it in for the couple of minutes it takes me to get dressed.

"Are you in a hurry?" JD asks when he gets back, toweling his hair.

I shrug. "I'm headed to Lucky's. If you want a ride, you better get dressed quickly. I'll be outside."

"Wait up," Ethan says. "Me and Liam will hitch a ride."

I nod at them as I leave the room. But I swear, if they're not out by the car in the next five minutes, I'm leaving without them.

"Wes."

My uncle is leaning against the wall outside. As I approach, he pushes off and comes to meet me.

"Tom." Why is he here? He comes to my games sometimes, but he said nothing about coming today.

"Congratulations on winning. You looked good out there."

"Thanks."

"I'm hearing some troubling rumors, Wes." He says and looks me over.

"About me?" I furrow my brow at him.

"You and Chloe."

I really don't want to discuss my love life with my uncle.

"There is no me and Chloe."

"That's what I've heard." He puts a hand on my shoulder. "Wes, you're young, so maybe you don't understand how the world works. But trust me when I say Chloe is good for you."

I shake my head, and he drops his hand. "I don't love her."

"Love? You're not here to find love. You're here to build a future. I want you to focus on hockey. Chloe will let you do that. She knows how important it is."

"It's not going to work out." I want out of this conversation.

"She can support you, Wes. You have no idea how important the connections you forge today are for your career. You need to think long term."

"I'm not going to be with her just because she grew up with a hockey player dad." I take a deep breath. "Besides, I think I'm in love with someone else." It's the first time I've admitted it to anyone, even myself. But as soon as I say it, I know it's true. I'm in love with Lydia.

"Who?" Tom asks.

"You don't know her." I don't want to talk to him about her. Not yet, at least. I just want to get to Lucky's so I can see her.

"Is she an athlete?"

"No."

"What's her major?"

"Media and communications."

He scoffs. "Media and communications. That's what party girls choose. That's not a respectable major. You need to be with someone who can help your career. Does she even know how important hockey is?"

"She knows." I think she does. She's never not been supportive. But we haven't really talked about it.

"Wes." He grabs my shoulders again. "You need to focus on hockey. That's why you're here. That's the whole point of UNI. I'm not paying all this money, so you can end up working at a fast-food restaurant or a factory somewhere. You have the potential to be one of the greats. You need to seize this opportunity."

I take a deep breath. How do I explain to him that I want it all? Hockey and Lydia.

He takes my hesitation for something else and takes an even more serious tone.

"You need to focus on hockey. Because I'm not throwing away my money so you can fuck around and play house with women who could ruin your future."

"It's my life." I want to tell him it's not like that, that she'll be by my side, and I think she will be. But how do I know?

"It's my money." We stare at each other for a long while. Neither of us backing down.

"Wes? You coming?" JD asks with a concerned look.

"No, he's not," Tom says. "We need to talk this over. Let's have dinner."

"I already have plans for tonight." I glance over at JD. Ethan and Liam are waiting by my car.

"And I have plans for the rest of your life." Tom points to his car. "Get in. I'm sure your team captain can be trusted with your car."

I want to tell my uncle to fuck off, to stop interfering with my life, but he's the one who got me here. He's the one who made my dream possible. I owe him.

With a heavy sigh, I dig out my car keys and toss them to JD. "I'll catch up with you later."

Maybe Lydia will understand if I don't show up. I grab my phone as we head to his car and send her a quick text, letting her know that something's come up and I'll be late.

I'll explain it all later. Surely she'll understand?