Chapter 27 - A kiss and a look

Lydia

I've wanted to text Wes ever since he dropped me off on Tuesday. But something holds me back. If this is only sex to him, then maybe he doesn't want to hear from me?

He sure disappeared quick enough when he thought we were about to get caught. And I haven't heard anything from him since.

But as I approach the Den on Thursday, there are butterflies in my stomach.

"Oh, good," Ms Tina says as I come in. "I don't know what's going on with the new hockey sticks, but we're going to have to send them back. So I need you to put them in the back as soon as possible. Some issue in the manufacturing process or something, I just found out. Luckily, we haven't sold very many of them. But if anyone comes in with one, you can just give them a refund."

"Ok." My eyes are panning over the store, trying to find Wes.

"Wes is going to be a bit late. The coach asked if he could stay for a meeting. There was something they needed to go over for the game tomorrow. But he'll be here soon. Do you want me to stay with you?"

I shake my head. "I'll manage."

"Good, then I'm going to take off. If Wes, for some reason, doesn't show up, you need to call me."

I nod, even though I already know I won't be doing that. Ms Tina got another set of keys and entrusted them to me, so I can close up if I need to. Even though it's something Wes always does.

I get started with removing the defective hockey sticks immediately, wondering how long it'll be before Wes shows up.

Less than half an hour later, he walks into the store.

"Hey." He stops in front of me.

"Hi."

He adjusts his bag. "I keep thinking about what happened."

My breath catches. "Oh?"

"The way you looked when I took you right over there."

I force a smile. Of course, he was thinking about the sex. Because that's what it's all about.

He looks around as if he's about to steal something, then he places a hand on my waist and leans in. His lips press against mine. I kiss him back, because it's impossible not to. He awakens something inside me I can't control.

When he pulls back, he's smiling. "Let me put this away and I'll come help you." He gestures to his bag.

I nod and check the hockey sticks to make sure I removed all the defective ones. I find a couple that have been misplaced and take them with me.

I run into Wes in the door. "Let me." He takes the sticks. "With the others?"

"Yeah." I hand them over. "They need to go back."

He puts the sticks away and joins me by the table with t-shirts and hoodies.

"I want to see you again," he says.

"You're seeing me right now." I furrow my brow at him. "Oh, you mean..." I give him a suggestive look. "Maybe not while the store is open."

"That's not... I mean, sure, if you want to. But I meant maybe we should see each other outside of work."

I nod and turn away. For sex.

"You want me to come over to your place again?" My stomach almost churns at the thought of being shoved into the bathroom.

"Or I could come to your apartment."

I nod. "There's less chance of running into anyone there. Just Ellie."

"Ellie is your roommate?"

"My sister. We're twins. Did I not tell you?"

He shakes his head. "Is she going to be there this weekend?"

I take a deep breath. "She's going to her boyfriend's tomorrow after classes. I think they're visiting his grandmother for the weekend."

"So I could come over? After the game?" His face lights up with childish excitement, and I almost laugh.

"Yes, that would work."

"Good." He grabs a hoodie and folds it. Without downcast eyes, he clears his throat. "Are you coming to the game?"

He's staring at the hoodie. The mean things his team mates said about me run through my head.

"Not sure," I say. "I hadn't thought about it." I try to play it off. Because I have been thinking about it. But mixing me and his hockey life seems like a bad idea, and he probably doesn't want me anywhere near where his friends are.

I know that the players' girlfriends go to the games and wear their boyfriends' jerseys. I've never been one of them, but I've seen the proud look on their faces. And I've seen the players look for them and wave from the ice.

But I'm not his girlfriend and he's not going to wave at me.

"Right." He nods.

"Would it bother you if I did?"

I've seen Chloe in a jersey.

"Why would it bother me?" There's a confused look on his face.

I shrug. "No reason."

"I think you should come. Then you could cheer me on."

He wants me there? I gape at him. I thought for sure he wouldn't want me to show up at one of his games.

"Ok," I say.

"Great." He leans in and kisses me so quickly it barely registers.

He grins, and I smile back.

"Wes," a voice calls. It's one of the hockey players. I don't know this one.

It only takes a glance at Wes to know that the magic has been broken. He steps away from me as if I embarrass him. Just standing next to me is wrong. The smile on his face has faded as he goes to help the player. It's as if I don't exist anymore.