𝔼𝕡𝕚𝕝𝕠𝕘𝕦𝕖

3 years later – Australia, Christmas' morning 2025

Daniel Ricciardo POV

"Dad!" Alice says as she shows me the gift she opened.

"That's from your grandma, look how cool it is!" I say excitedly. I love watching the kids as they open their gifts, it's pure joy.

I left Formula 1 in 2024 for my family and it has been the best choice I've ever made. I still go to a few races and I am received as a honored guest which is fun. I am in contact with many of the drivers and I am happy with how life is going. I am now engaged to Iris, so we are still going struck. My ex has kept quiet, the restraining order ended and we got a letter apologizing for her previous actions.

"What are you waiting for?" Iris asks as she sits by my side after helping the kids open their gifts.

"Nothing. I will open my gifts in the end" I say calmly as I kiss her cheek.

"They opened everything, it's time for the adults to go ahead" She says happily and we get the gifts with our names.

They were all stuff I adored and I knew she was loving the gifts she got so I smiled. Everyone was delighted and thankful for their gifts.

"Aren't you going to open it?" I ask as I see the box in Iris' hands and she shakes her head.

"No. It's from me to you" She hands me the wooden box with a lace wrapped around it and I am curious.

"We agreed on only buying a gift and you gave me one already" I say as I try to hand it back but she shakes her head.

"I can't return this one so just open it" She insists and my curiosity wins. I take the lace out and open it.

My vision was quickly obstructed by the tears that appeared. The positive pregnancy test, the little sneakers with DR3 on it and the ultrasound pictures were all it took for me to break down crying. After 3 years trying we did. We are having a baby!

"Fucking hell! Thank you baby" I say as I put the box down carefully and I hug her as tears insisted on streaming down my face.

"What is happening?" My mom asks worriedly.

"Look!" Alice says appearing with a new sweater saying 'Big Siter'.

"Congratulations!" Both moms says at the same time and Iris chuckles.

"It was about time a new addition came to the family" Iris says happily as Alice comes to sit on my lap.

"Thos sneakers are so cute" My sister says as they opened the box to see the ultrasound pictures.

"How far along are you?" Her dad asks curiously.

"12 weeks. So a lot of the danger is gone now but I found out last week" Her smile was huge and so was mine. I can't believe this is happening.

"I'm ready for this. With you from the beginning I know this will be easier" I am relaxed with the idea this time around and everyone chuckled.

"I got you" Iris says as she rests her head on my shoulder and I kiss her forehead.

"And I got you" I say proudly.

"So, how long does it take for the baby to get here?" Alice asks curiously and excitedly and Iris laughs.

"About 6 months. We will have time to decorate the nursery and buy things. Are you excited?" Iris asks nervously and Alice nods profusely.

"This is the best Christmas ever! Do you think I will be a good big sister?"

"You will be the best big sister!" Alice says as she tickles her and her giggles fill the room.

"I love you mom" She says once she regained her breath and she kisses Iris's cheek.

"I love you too baby."

Iris loves Alice as deeply as any mom would love their own kid. They do everything together. They have girl's night together, my sister and my niece join them and they paint their nails and do ridiculous makeup, and have fun.

The last few hours have shown me what having a family is like. Having your own family is different. I was a son and I am not a parent and I would do it all over again. I would drive myself crazy for 9 months and I would meet Iris all over again if it meant being here with them.

I love my life as it is. I loved being a Formula 1 driver but family comes first. I wouldn't want to be traveling all over the world while seeing them once in a while when I have the means to be here every single day. I experienced most of Alice's milestones and I hope to do the same with the baby we are about to have.

Being a present dad is worth more than any career might ever be worth. Everything worked out for the better and every decision has led me to this moment.

So I can proudly say this is the end of our story. We got what we wanted.