Bonding With Chan

[This chapter is a compilation scene, so they're in different days]

Ryujin and Kala were heading to the dance practice room when Chan came out from one of the rooms with sweat all over his face.

"Oh, Kala-ya, annyeong." Chan waved at her and Kala greeted him back by bowing at him. Then he noticed Ryujin beside Kala. "Ryujin-ah! You're friends with Kala?"

"Yes, sunbae," Ryujin answered. "We're dorm mate."

"For real? Woah, why I've never seen you with her before?"

"Meh, Kala is just bad at being visible to people."

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

It was one of those times when Ryujin wasn't with Kala because she had an extra vocal lesson, so now Kala was alone having lunch in the JYP cafeteria. Yeji and Chaeryeong whom she was also close with had the same schedule as Ryujin because they were in the same girl group project. And being the solo project trainee, Kala had to get used to doing anything alone.

She was having a peaceful meal until a certain Australian boy showed up.

"Annyeong, Kala-ya," Chan greeted, his lunch tray in his hands.

Kala smiled at him and bowed. "Annyeonghaseyo."

Chan pointed at the empty seat in front of her. "Is this seat taken? Can I sit here?"

"Sure. I'm not with anyone."

"Why are you alone? There were some trainees here you can join."

Kala darted her gaze around the cafeteria and indeed he was right. "I... I'm not good at having a conversation with new people. It always feels awkward for me."

Chan stared at the younger girl for a while, then started eating his lunch. "Well now that I'm here, let's have a conversation," he suggested. "Where are you from, Kala?"

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

The lift was about to close when a hand prevented the door from moving further. Kala quickly pressed the open button to let the person come in.

"Thank you," the boy said. When he realized it was Kala in the lift, he beamed at her. "Kala, hello!"

Upon hearing the Australian accent, Kala also only realized who the person was. "Chan sunbae! Annyeonghaseyo!" She as usual bowed at him.

"You can just call me 'oppa¹', you know." (¹the way younger women address older men)

"Can I?"

"Yeah. Feel free to talk casually to me."

"Alright, Channie oppa."

"That's more like it." Chan smiled approvingly. "Are you going home?"

Kala nodded. "I'm done for the day."

Chan couldn't help but pat Kala's head adoringly. "Good job, you've worked hard today too. Let me walk you home."

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

Chan who was on a mission to find members for his group project that JYP entrusted him to choose his own group mates, joined all this month's monthly evaluations for trainees. He already set his decision on a few guys, but he still needed one more.

The trainees in the room that Chan entered were either busy stretching, warming up, or checking last-minute preparations. And in those commotions, Chan spotted Kala alone in the corner of the room humming a song she'd perform.

His feet instantly bring him to her. "Hi, Kala!"

Kala turned and grinned at the sight of the older boy. "Oppa! Your evaluation is in here?"

"Mmm," Chan hummed as a 'no' while shaking his head. "I'm here for a mission."

"What are you? Tom Cruise?"

"Prefer James Bond."

They both laughed at the lame humour. Lately, they had gotten close to each other since the event of Chan 'eavesdropping' Kala's vocal lesson. Kala who used to be very stiff and awkward was now comfortably joking around with him. She was getting more laid back with Chan day by day.

"What song you'll perform?" he asked her.

"Oppa know 'Ocean Eyes'?"

Chan pondered, trying to remember the song Kala mentioned. "Isn't it... Bil... Billie... Billie Eilish! It's her song, right?"

"Yes! She's amazing. I love her," Kala stated excitedly. "I hope I don't mess up this song."

A soft smile appeared on Chan's lips. "You'll do well."

Kala smiled back, feeling grateful to him. The nerves that had made her uneasy earlier were eased by Chan's presence.

"Alright, everyone, let's start this evaluation," one of the trainers who would evaluate the trainees announced.

And as trainee after trainee performed the result of their hard work, Chan hadn't found a single male one who intrigued him to be his next member.

The last boy trainee in the room had performed and Chan shook his head. Not this one either he thought. He was frustrated and almost wanted to stick with just 8 members until the next name was called.

"Ryu Kala."

Kala's body tensed. No matter how often she did this monthly evaluation, she always felt like she could throw up any minute. Her trembling hand slowly raised. "H-here."

The trainer watched her from the front of the room. "Let's start."

Kala took a deep breath and as she walked to the room center, she felt a pat on her shoulder.

"Fighting!" Chan whispered.

Kala smiled thankfully and continued her steps.

As soon as Kala started singing, every pair of eyes in that room was focused on her. Chan didn't even wonder when he heard some 'woah' from the other trainees. He himself also did that a couple of times during Kala's singing.

Kala may be a really quiet girl and people often didn't notice she was there, but she had that magic in her that made all the attention go to her when it's needed.

When Kala finished performing all the talents she got for the evaluation and everyone clapped their hands and the trainers gave her compliments and the other trainees congratulated her and she bowed and said thank you, Chan realized something at those moments.

This is it. He wanted her in his group. He wanted her in Stray Kids.