8 or 9

It was the last week before the Stray Kids survival show really start. Although Chan didn't succeed in convincing JYP to let Kala join Stray Kids, he got a 'yes' from the CEO to give them a chance to show him that they could bring out the best in each other. So Chan proposed that they'd perform in front of him before the survival show, and only after that JYP could decide the final number of Stray Kids members. 8 or 9.

In just a month, they had prepared everything for this judgment performance. They practiced so hard they could break all the bones in their body. They sang, they rapped, they danced, they recorded, and they evaluated until everything was perfect for this day—the day when they knew either they would walk on the same path or go on separate ways.

Out of the members, Chan felt the most on edge at the moment. He couldn't stop walking to and fro in the dance practice room where they would perform, waiting for JYP to arrive. The members who were busy stretching and warming up started to feel distracted by their leader.

"Chan Hyung, if you keep doing that, I might have to get Minho Hyung to tie you up," Seungmin complained, feeling dizzy with Chan pacing around the room.

"At this point, you perhaps already explored every inch of this room. Might as well mop the floor while you're at it," Changbin chimed in as he pushed down Felix's shoulders who was trying to do a split to the floor.

"Sorry. Can't help it." Chan sighed and eventually came to a stop beside Kala. "How are you doing, Kalie?"

"Pretty good," Kala replied, moving to the other arm to stretch.

"Defined pretty good."

She thought, humming. "I'm nervous as heck but I'm not pacing back and forth and annoying everyone."

Chan chuckled at the sarcastic joke, somehow felt less anxious because of that. "Hey, I'm just worried, okay?" he defended. "I really want you to stay."

Kala's expression softened. She stopped stretching and grabbed Chan's hand. "Oppa, I'm not going anywhere."

The corners of Chan's mouth lifted a little. He squeezed back Kala's hand.

Right after that, the door opened and the long-awaited guest came in. They all directly gathered in the center of the room to welcome him.

"Annyeonghaseyo," they all greeted and bowed synchronously.

"Hi, guys." JYP smiled at them, looking at all the young faces in front of him. "How was your day?"

"Good. We've been practicing hard," Chan answered for all of them.

"Yeah? I'm sure you do." Nodding, JYP diverted his focus at the only girl among the boys. "Kala?"

Kala jolted upright, a bit startled. "Y-yes?"

"You still want to be in Stray Kids?" JYP asked her, or more like giving her one last chance to back out.

Only that Kala didn't plan to do it, not even in the slightest. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

JYP nodded hearing the determined tone. "Alright then, shall we start this?"

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

They were out of breath after the performance ended. In total, they did three performances, one song without choreography and two songs with choreography. Breathing in and out slowly, the nine held each other's hand and bowed. The only thing left now was JYP's comment and decision.

Kala could feel her heartbeat race so fast that it began to hurt. Jisung beside her held her hand so tight, either trying to send strength to her or to himself as he seemed more agitated than her.

Took a couple of seconds for JYP to finally speak what he had in mind. "Okay..." he began, leaving everyone jittery. "When Chan came to me and said he wanted to add Kala to Stray Kids, I really don't think it would work. It is risky, too risky. Moreover, the company already has a plan for the upcoming projects, so it wasn't an easy job to remake them again." JYP leaned his back on the chair and locked his hand on his lap. "Kala, I've got a chance several times to be a judge in your monthly evaluation and you are really really talented. I thought it'd be such a loss to put you in a group because your spark will mix up with your other members. That was why I wanted you to debut as a solo, so you can stand out more," he narrated. "But Chan was right, you shine brighter when you're with the people who can bring out the best in you."

That speech made Kala's emotions work like a roller-coaster. Up, down, much screams, spin, down, up, and screams again. In all those ruckus in her head, she found Jisung's hand that remained in hers brought comfort and kept her sane.

"Your performance was great, kids. Your dynamic, your harmonization, your teamwork, and how all of you complement each other like puzzle pieces impressed me," JYP praised, raising up their hope. "So, well," he got up and clapped once. "Congratulations, Stray Kids has 9 members from now on."

They soon broke out into chaos and yell of joy.

JYP winced and smiled at the loud voices. "I guess I'll see you all in the survival show next week?"

"Yes. Thank you, PD-nim. Thank you so much. Really. Thank you." Chan bowed to the old man three times in a row. The others followed shortly.

"No worries. You've worked hard. I'll get going now."

And as JYP left the room, Jisung wasted no time hugging Kala and rocked their bodies side to side. "You stay with us, Kala, oh my god! You stay with us!"

"I know! I stay, Ji oppa, I stay!" restated Kala ecstatic.

When they both released each other, Chan already waited for her with outstretched arms, wanting some hug too that Kala happily gave him.

"I told you I'm not going anywhere," she mumbled on Chan's shoulder.

"I'm glad. I'm so so so glad." Chan sighed in contentment and stroked Kala's hair lovingly.

Felix was the next to bring her into his embrace. "Kala-ya, let's stay together for a long time!"

"Of course! Lix Oppa, you're stuck with me now."

They giggled and instantly light up the room with that.

When it was Minho's turn, he hugged her so gently like she could break if he was being reckless. "Stay with us always, yeah?"

Kala smiled. "Always."

With Changbin, she jumped into his arms in a heartbeat, making him almost lose his balance. "Hyungnim, we still can do our walk after school!"

"This girl, I told you I'm still gonna pick you up even if you're not in our group." Changbin messed her hair playfully.

Then Seungmin brought her into a group hug with Jeongin and bounced up and down in a circle while cheering, "Vocal Racha is still complete!"

"No one can break us apart!" Jeongin shouted next.

"Because we are..." Kala hung her words.

"Vocal Racha of Stray Kids! Whoo!" shouted them in unison.

The other members just laughed at the younger ones' antic. You could tell it happened a few times before.

Toward the end, Hyunjin who always be the last person to interact with Kala stood his ground and awkwardly reached out his hand that Kala shook stiffly. "You're officially in Stray Kids now."

"Yeah..."

"Congratulations."

"Thank you."

Jisung groaned watching them both. "You two are so awkward it gives me secondhand embarrassment."

Changbin slapped the back of his neck. "Leave them alone."

Chan stared at all of his members with a glow in his eyes and a bright smile, grateful for every moment he shared with them.

Welcome to Stray Kids, Kala.