Nine or None

It was always Stray Kids against the final number of their members. The universe seemed to hate the number 9 so much despite in some beliefs it represented completeness, balance, and perfection. Or maybe it was just the way the universe tested the red string bond the nine of them had on their pinky fingers, whether it would tear with all these trials or become stronger than ever.

Kala fiddled with her sleeves while listening to JYP's speech about robot dogs compared to real dogs. She didn't know exactly where he was going with that, but she was willing to cooperate if it would lead them to a piece of good news—if it gave them a chance to debut as nine members.

In all the uncertainty about their ultimate fate, Kala caught her grandmother's eyes in the audience, and beside her was none other than Kwon Aesung who held up a banner with her best friend's face on it, probably being the loudest supporter among the crowd. After not seeing them in person for two years, Kala was beyond happy when she knew they were coming to Seoul to support her on the final mission.

Grandma Mikyung nodded reassuringly at Kala when she noticed her granddaughter's uneasiness. Always stayed in touch with each other through phone calls, she knew this granddaughter of hers had been through so much chasing up her dreams with those eight boys. A couple of times, the urge to bring her back home so she didn't suffer anymore was surely there. But Grandma Mikyung trusted Kala that she could handle all the struggles, even if she had to crawl herself out of them.

With her grandma and best friend there rooting for her, Kala gained more courage and straightened her posture to appear more confident.

"The difference is your expressions when there are all nine and the energy you have as one team. If the seven members are the robot dogs that make no mistakes, then the nine members who make mistake feel like a real living thing," JYP narrated, trying his best to deliver the message he wanted to convey.

Meanwhile Chan sensed the girl next to him fidgeting in anticipation. He offered a squeeze on her shoulder and kept his hand there, waiting for JYP's final words side by side.

"Congratulations, Stray Kids will be 9 members."

The screaming sound and clapping hands from the audience roared in a fraction of a second, accompanied by the victory background music from the studio.

The members' expressions broke out into the biggest grins as they approached the two returning members. It would be hard to describe specifically how they felt at the moment, except for the fact that no one was merrier than them hugging each other, bouncing excitedly on the stage, and screaming in delight, relieved to be back together again.

To walk on the same path once more as nine. Completed, balanced, and perfect.