Chapter 19. Humanity

"Stiles?" 

My voice was faint as it carried through the jeep. I don't exactly remember getting in the jeep after the fight with Scott, but we both had and now we were driving. The rain had stopped, but our clothes were still damp and my hair was sticking to my face. The bloody wrench was sitting on the seats in the back and Stiles kept glancing in his rearview mirror at the damn thing. 

I wish I had known the significance of the wrench, because I don't know what it was for. I'm assuming that was what Stiles had killed Donovan with, but I'm not sure. Theo said something about scaffolding falling down so maybe that was what killed him. I'm not sure if I even ask Stiles if he will tell me the story.

The anger for Scott is gone, instead it's replaced with worry for Stiles. I'm not fighting it, because I want to feel something other than anger or hurt from Scott. I don't know what it is about Scott but he seems to be an extremely heavy influence on my emotional state. 

Steam started to pour out of the hood of the jeep, and it slowly came to a stop. Smoke then floated through the vents into the jeep and Stiles and I both began to cough as he pulled over to the side of the road. I quickly exited the vehicle covering my mouth as I coughed manically. The smoke was burning my lungs. 

Stiles slammed his door shut and then made his way to the back of the jeep, opening the hatch and grabbing his tool kit. I cleared my throat as I watched him round back up to the front of the jeep. His eyes narrowed as he tossed the kit to the cement. I was afraid to speak, so instead I watched him quickly pop the hood and then snatch the kit off the ground, setting it up beside him. He opened the lid to where all his wrenches were and he paused momentarily before hurling the entire thing over his shoulder out into the middle of the road. 

My eyes widened as he shoved past me and pulled open the passenger door, leaning over the center console to grab the wrench from the backseat. He slid out of the jeep, slamming the door shut again, and then started walking back towards the front of the jeep. He lifted his arm to throw it out towards the kit, but then he turned around and hurled it at the jeep. I screamed as I thought it was about to hit me in the face, but it missed and cracked the side of the windshield. 

Glass fell onto the hood and he stormed over to the drivers side of the jeep, where he collapsed onto the ground and pulled his knees up to his chest. He had his forehead pressed into the tops of his knees and he was rocking back and forth slightly. 

I slowly approached him, crouching down in front of him, "Stiles?" 

"I'm really not in the mood for your emotionally disconnected bullshit, Kasey." he muttered, not bothering to even glance at me. 

I swallowed thickly, I guess I deserved that. 

With a sigh, I sat down beside him and bit down at my lip, "I know that I haven't exactly been the most pleasant person to be around lately, but I'm not like that right now. I'm Kasey again, and I'm not sure how long this is going to last, and I'm not saying that just to get you to talk to me, either." 

"Did you see how he was looking at me?" he asked as he lifted his head slowly. 

I nodded, "Yeah, like you had tried to kill him with the wrench, instead of Donovan."

"That's the thing," Stiles breathed out, "I didn't even kill Donovan with the wrench. I hit him with it because he came at me while I was trying to fix my jeep. I lost the wrench somewhere in the library. Donovan died because these beams fell down from the scaffold thing that I was climbing on, one of them went right through him." 

I blinked in confusion, "Then why did the wrench even matter?" 

He shrugged, "I don't know."