Lovin' in the 60's

Dally had just taken me shopping while Pony and Johnny went and saw a movie. He took me all around town. We walked into stores and he showed me around town.  With our bags in hand, he bought me an ice cream cone and we walked home. 

"You think you got enough clothes?" Dally asked me as we turned onto another street.

"Yeah, these should be enough for quite a while," I said taking another lick of my ice cream cone. "How much farther until we are home?" I asked looking up to his handsome, structured face.

"Just a few more blocks. Why? Ya tired or something?"

"No.." I replied, "I like walking with you," I confessed. I felt like I could tell him anything. I don't know why he made me feel safe, maybe it was because around everyone else he was mean and tough, but around me, he was a little less intense.

"Well, I like you." He said smiling at me. 

I blushed and turned away."You don't even know me." 

 He chuckled and wrapped his strong, muscular arm around me. I wanted to melt at the sight of his smile. Dallas Winston, a tuff, cool, and dangerous 17 year old, knew I existed. He made me feel special, like I was important in the world, kind of the way Pony made me feel....

I could feel Dally staring at me. "Enjoying the view?" I asked giggling. 

"You are beautiful." He said continuing to stare. 

I didn't want to lead Dally on. I did have feelings for him, but I knew his type. Lead the girl on, maybe date for a while, but not ever really getting serious. That's not the kind of relationship I wanted. He didn't seem like the type to be romantic and stuff. I had to let him know I wanted us to be friends. I turned to him.

"Dal-"

He cut me off by kissing me hard on the lips. I stopped walking and so did he. He dropped his ice cream and put both his hands on the back of my head. His lips were so soft, and he was a breathtaking kisser. I've let this go on for too long. I pushed him back and our lips stopped their amazing kiss. He looked at me with confused eyes. "Whats wrong babe?" He questioned with hurt in his eyes.

"I like Ponyboy," I said almost in a whisper looking down at my feet. I surprised myself with the statement. I didn't know these feelings existed, but right when I said it, I felt it in full effect. I did like Pony, and even though we just met, saying it out loud felt right. 

He stepped back in shock. "Ponyboy?" He started. I nodded a little out of breath from the sudden excitement. 

"I'm sorry if I lead you on Dallas.." I told him not wanting to look him in the eyes.

He didn't say anything and we continued our walk home. Dallas looked really mad.

PONY'S P.O.V. 

I and Johnny were walking home from a movie at the drive-in. It was a boring flick, just another beach party movie with songs and beach balls. Though the only thing I could think of through the whole movie was Amber. I don't know why, but she consumed my mind. Last night, when I had shown her to her room and we jumped on the bed, I wanted to kiss her so badly, but she looked away. Does that mean she doesn't like me the way I like her? 

Johnny was talking about some movie he had seen while we walked down the street. My eyes were wondering when I saw Amber and Dally through the row of houses, on the street next to us. I didn't like seeing them together, so naturally, I had to spy on them. I nudged Johnny and motioned him to be quiet. I flicked my head towards them and Johnny caught on quick. 

We ran through the houses and listened in on them.

"I like walking with you," Amber said.

That made me mad as could be. But that was nothing compared to what came next. "I like you" I heard Dally say and he put his arm around her! I got so mad I wanted to punch something until my knuckles were bloody. 

I liked Amber! Dallas knows I liked Amber! I got red and Johnny could see that.

"Pony I'm sure they are just friends.." Johnny said. 

Just after he said that Dallas leaned in and kissed her! And she didn't fight it! I was about to kill him. 

"Now Pony don't do anything stupid.." Johnny started as he grabbed my arm to keep me from going over there and killing Dally right in front of her. 

I started running. Running home. Johnny stayed behind to watch them, but I didn't care. I was furious and just needed to get home. I didn't know what I was going to do, but I was gonna do it angrily. The gang always made fun of me for never liking a girl and for once I thought I liked a girl and Dallas goes and kisses her. 

When I got home I saw a car in front. A bright red Corvette. I stood there for a while, right in front of the house. I wiped my tears from my face. Then I saw Amber and Dally walking up the street and towards the house. I ran inside the house to see Cherry Valance standing in the living room. 

She smiled and said, "Hey Ponyboy! Sodapop was just taking a look at my car, I think he is in the garage." 

Then I heard the door squeak open. I glanced to see it was Amber and Dally. Before anyone could say anything I lunged forward and kissed Cherry right on the lips. Her lips tasted like strawberry lip gloss, and the sticky, heavily applied gloss made the kiss very uncomfortable. After about a second, Cherry pushed me away and slapped me hard across the face. 

"Ponyboy Curtis! You know I have a boyfriend, how dare you!" Cherry yelled and ran out of the house.

I turned around to Amber and Dally with tears and anger in my eyes. 

Amber looked real hurt and sad.  I felt really bad and guilty, but then angry. "Why are you upset Amber, I saw you kiss Dally!"

 Johnny came running in after hearing everything from outside.  "No! Pony, she pushed him away after you left. She told him that she liked you and that she was sorry if she lead him on!"

Amber turned and gave a faint smile at Johnny, then turned back to me with a sad quivering frown. Tears still rolled down her soft, pink cheeks. "Is that what happened?" I asked her in a whisper. She nodded and I felt like someone had stabbed me. I felt so guilty and so heartbroken seeing her sad. I never wanted to make Amber sad again.

AMBER'S P.O.V.

Pony looked like so sad and guilty I couldn't stand to see him that way.

"I-I'm real sorry Amber." He said with a wavering frown. 

He was so good-looking, even when he was distraught. Then Dally, still angry from my rejection which he probably wasn't used to, said something I really wished he hadn't.

"I didn't want to kiss an ugly whore like you anyway." 

Those words hit me like an 18 wheeler. The guy who I felt safe with, just verbally slapped me.

I looked over to Ponyboy whose eyes lit up with rage and anger and pain. Dally pulled out a cigarette and was about to light it when Pony ran forward and punched him in the face so hard, Dally fell to the ground. Already I knew that the punch had broken his nose and who knows what else. Pony then hopped on top of him with his knees holding Dally's arms down. Pony started punching and punching Dally, getting out the words "Don't-you-ever-talk-about-her-like that-again!"

Johnny let the punching happen for a few moments, knowing that Dallas deserved it. But Ponyboy wasn't letting up. If Johnny hadn't intervened then, I think Pony would have killed him. Johnny pushed Pony off of Dally. "Thats enough!" He yelled when Pony hit the ground beside Dally.

Dally got up sniffing the blood that was gushing out of his nose. He touched a large gash on his face and winced as he backed up towards the door. Johnny was holding Pony back from going out on Dally again. "I-I hate you Dally, you-you bastard!"

Dally glanced at me before making a beeline out the door and running in full sprint away from the house.