Apologies and memories

AMBER'S P.O.V.

Steve came in first, basically he told me that Pony was a wreck without me and that Sodapop didn't like it too much. So I needed to wake up real quick and get better. He started crying, and told me that I was a tuff, cool girl. Steve said farewell and kissed me on the cheek. It was fairly brief, but nice..

Two-Bit came next. Before he even walked in, he was crying. I could hear his sobs from the hallway leading all the way to my bedside. He didn't say much, just cried. I hadn't known these people a long time, I guess they get attached easily. Ya know I talked to Pony about that once. In the morning, before I went out with Dallas to go shopping. Before Pony asked me to be his girl. Before I got kidnaped.

FLASH BACK AMBER'S P.O.V.

"Hey Amber, wanna go to the lot?" Pony asked me as he walked out of his room, pulling his shirt on. I got a glimpse at his stomach. He had abs, but not washboard like a model or anything. Pony was a runner, he was on the track team. I nodded not knowing what he asked, mesmerized by Ponyboy himself. I slipped on Sodapop's shoes. They were a little big, but mine were all the way in my room

I walked out of the screen door, Pony behind me. As we walked out the front gate, Pony came side by side with me. We walked in silence, but it was a nice silence, not awkward, not out of place, just peaceful. Soon I spoke up. "Thank you so much for letting me stay at your guy's house." 

"No sweat Amber, It's been nice havin' a girl around here." 

"Ya know, it kinda surprised me when you guys agreed to let me stay with you.. I was a total stranger, you guys had never met me. What if I was a bad person?" I said gently hitting him on the arm.

"You didn't look like a bad person, and I'm sure Darry and Soda saw that before I did."

I smiled. We turned a corner coming up to the lot. The lot was filled with all sorts of trash and old furniture.

"You guys have made me feel so welcome. I haven't been here too long, and I already feel like I'm part of the gang." I said as we sat down leaning up against the back of an old couch.

"Pony smiled and turned to me. "You are part of the gang Amber. Every since you walked in the front door, you were part of the gang." He looked up at the clear blue sky. A light breeze blew by, blowing my hair into my face. I giggled as it tickled my nose. "You got a nice laugh." He said chuckling.

I looked at him and gave a 'thank you smile'. "Ya wanna know why we are so welcoming? Why you already feel like a part of the gang?"

I nodded nervously at him. "Well," he said settling down even more in his spot. "My parents' died a few months back,  Johnny's parents beat him, same with Dally if he ever goes home, Steve's mom walked out on him and his dad is an alcoholic, Two-Bit's dad walked out on him and his mom works full time just to keep them fed. We've all lost so much, and lived so poorly, that when we see something good, we hold onto it. Because when we see something good in our lives of bad, all we can think about is how much we want it. Most of us even do it subconsciously. Not even knowing that we are chasing something good. Just doing it as a natural instinct. Even I'm guilty of it. All we want is good. Not great, not awesome, just good."

I sat there in silence. Pony breathed heavily and we both just thought. "I'm real sorry about your parents Pony... and I feel sorry for the whole gang. I didn't realize how bad you guys had it..." I said breaking the silence.