Handsome, kind, sweet, tuff lookin' greaser

AMBER'S P.O.V.

Ponyboy came running over to me after Dallas was out of sight. He looked into my eyes and even though I was mad, I couldn't help but be enveloped in his beauty. He was sweating a little so his dark curls stuck to his forehead. For some reason, his lips seemed sparkly.

"Are you wearing lip gloss?" I asked still staring at his gorgeous face. He smiled and I knew that he had just gotten the lip gloss from Cherry's lips moments before.

"Why don't you tell me." He said.

I didn't quite know what that meant until he leaned in and kissed me. He cupped his hands along my jawline and tensed his shoulders. I kissed him back and all of my hate, and anger, and hurt disappeared for a moment. The kiss was passionate and loving and feeling his soft lips that I have craved for was amazing. I never wanted the kiss to end, but I heard Johnny walk out of the room awkwardly. I slowly leaned back and looked Pony in his deep, feeling eyes. "Forgive me?" He asked looking like a lost puppy.

"If you keep kissing me like that, I can never stay mad at you Ponyboy Curtis," I replied. He made me feel better than how Dally made me feel. Better than being important in the world, but being loved in the world. 

"Amber," Pony started shyly at first. "Will you be my girlfriend?" 

I looked at this handsome, kind, sweet, tuff lookin' greaser and knew that I could never love anyone else. "On one condition," I said. "No more going around kissin' broads when you get mad at me."

He laughed as if it was a silly, childish mistake. "I got a condition too," He said placing his hands on my waist and pulling me towards him. "No more hanging 'round Dally?" He said in a low almost whisper-like voice. 

I hesitated for a moment, almost forgetting what happened a few minutes ago, but the anger towards Dally that was in me made me feel comfortable with this promise. I smiled sadly and nodded. I nustled my head into his warm shoulder and could smell his irresistible cologne. I placed my arms around his neck and felt safe like I felt with Dally, but this guy I knew wasn't gonna hurt me like Dally did. We were so close our bodies were touching and I could feel his heartbeat. We leaned our foreheads together and we stood like that just clinging to each other until Sodapop walked in and saw us.

"What the-" Soda looked at us wide-eyed.

I and Pony both let go of each other and stepped away real quick when we saw Soda. 

"Pony! What did I say about gettin' all lovey-dovey with my kid sister?" Soda said not in a mad tone per say, just a surprised and not too overjoyed. 

"She's not really your sister." Pony said under his breath.

"Yeah, but she is the closest thing I got to one," Sodapop said wiping his forehead. 

"I'm sure sorry and everything, but I really like Amber here, and I'm not letting her go just cause' you want to live out your kid sister fantasy with her." Pony replied putting his arm around me and pulling me close. 

Soda looked up at me and then back at Pony. "You really like her don't you Pony?"

"Yeah, and I plan to "like" her for a long time." Pony smiled and glanced at me. I was smiling like a fool because I loved Soda like a brother and Pony like a boy and this whole thing was really messed up. But it was my amazing mess, and I loved it.

"I swear Pony if you hurt Amber, you got a world of hurt coming at you ya hear?" Soda said sternly at Pony with intimidation in his eyes and protectiveness smear across his face.

Pony smiled a great big goofy smile ear to ear. He lifted me up and spun me. I and Soda laughed and Pony just stared into my eyes. "So I guess you two will be wanting to stay in a room together?" 

I looked at Soda all funny and Pony noticed. "Don't worry, I won't try anything." He said playfully hitting my arm. 

"Yea he's got no bite to his bark." Added Soda. We all erupted in laughter, and I knew sharing a room with Pony would not only let Soda get a little more rest because he was working so much but would be real nice for me and Pony. I've been kinda missing home lately, and having someone as nice as Pony be with me will make it easier.

"You guys make a great couple!" Sodapop exclaimed excitedly. "Literally, my two most favorite people in the world are together!" He yelled like a war chant. 

"Hey Amber, wanna go down to Dairy Queen for some dinner?" Pony asked me.

"I would love that," I answered eagerly. 

"You might want to go change, you have been wearing those same clothes ever since you got here, there a little dirty, and luckily, Dallas just bought you some new clothes." Soda suggested as he walked towards the kitchen. Soda didn't know what happened between me and Dallas. I nodded at Ponyboy. "you go tell Soda about Dally, I'll just be a minute."

"I'll miss you." Pony said as I walked towards my room. I could hear Soda making gagging noises from the kitchen when he overheard Pony say those words with love.  

When I got to my room I rushed around in a panic. "Damn it! I don't have anything to wear!" I whined. Nothing seemed good enough for Pony. After trying on almost every outfit I owned, I decided on a yellow sundress and a blue sweater. I let my long, brown hair down and it fell into bouncy curls. I put on a bit of makeup, but I didn't want to look too dolled up for a trip to Dairy Queen. (Although most decent girls I saw around town wore sundresses every day.)

I walked downstairs to see Pony had changed too. Instead of his dark blue muscle tee, he wore a soft looking flannel and a pair of blue jeans. He had obviously re-applied grease t his hair, slicking it back, but I honestly didn't care how he looked, as long I was with him.

"You look stunning!" He complimented smiling his prize-winning smile.

"So do you, Pony," I replied. 

With the compliment, he straightened up. I could see he wasn't really used to getting complimented.

He took my arm and we walked out in the direction of the Dairy Queen. "Did you tell Soda about what happened with Dally?" I asked when we were outside of the house.

"Yeah, he had my same mad reaction about what Dallas called you. And get this," Pony turned to me and I looked him in his bright, young eyes. "Sodapop was so mad, he punched the wall and made a hole!" Pony broke into laughter and I giggled a bit. But I was mostly frowning.

"Hey what's wrong?" Pony asked concerningly.

"You guys are mad at Dallas because of me..." I started but Pony put an end to that.

"No! We are not mad at him because of you, we are mad that he would ever say that to anyone who didn't deserve it! We are rightfully mad at him, and I'm glad this happened sooner rather than later because I never want to see you be sad ever again..." Pony trailed off but then chimed back in. "You are way too pretty to be sad ever! And way too kind, and caring to ever be talked to in that way!" 

My cheeks blushed red and I looked away to hide my burning cheeks. The sign for the Dairy Queen was just up ahead.