Dixie's Creamery

AMBER'S P.O.V. 

It was three uneventful days after the baseball game. I woke up and Pony was already gone. The night before he told me he was leaving early in the morning to go with Two-Bit to the next town over. They have found an ad in the paper for a construction project over there. It only lasted about a week, but the pay was good, so they took the job. Darry needed help with the bills, especially because of me. I confronted him and said I would get a job because they are my medical bills, and he was also playing the the food that I eat. But he told me that I was too sweet and innocent to have to worry about bills, and getting a job.

I walked downstairs just in my underwear and a T-shirt that was long on me. No one was home so it didn't matter anyway. Soda was at the DX working, Darry was roofing houses, and Pony was off doing back-breaking labor, to keep food on the table. I poured myself a bowl of cereal and went in to watch TV. I sat on the couch eating my cereal when someone bust through the front door. It was Dally. He came over with a huge smile on his face and lifted me up from the couch and spun me in the air laughing. I laughed too until he put me down. "Who are you and what have you done with Dallas Winston?" I asked jokingly.

"Oh Amber, everything is great! It's a beautiful day out, the sun is shining, and I am bursting with joy!" 

I looked at him funny. "Why are you so happy?" I asked.

"No reason, I just try to be a happy person!" He said.

"You're full of crap Dal', What's up?" I said staring at him hard.

He tried to frown and look at me serious, but he just burst out laughing. "Ohhh Amber, I'm in lovee." He said holding the "love". "I thought girls were supposed to tell if someone is in love?" He said falling down on the couch.

"I'll get into a sexist pig fight with you later Dal', now who is the lucky lady?" I asked.

"Oh you'll lover her Amber." He said as he daydreamed. "You know what, meet us at Dairy Queen tonight at six, it can be a surprise!" He yelled happily.

"I can't wait!" I said slurping the milk out of my cereal. 

I went up and laid on the couch next to Dally not realizing or really caring that I was still in my underwear. He was in love, and didn't seem to mind. Or maybe he was so blinded by his love fro this new girl, that he didn't even notice my attire. "I think I'm gonna go out and get a job, ya know, help out with the bills and stuff." 

"That's cool.." He said obviously not listening. 

"Yeah," I started. "And I'm also gonna go rob a bank." I said testing to see if he was listening.

"Alright have fun.." He said with his eyes closed daydreaming about his new girl.

"Okay, I'm gonna go upstairs and jump off the second story window...."

He hopped up and ran out the front door before I could even make it to the door. "Ahhh, young love..." I said jokingly to myself.

I walked up stairs and slipped on a red polka dotted tank top and some leather pants. I had my hair down and I kept it that way. I put on my black converse and grabbed my small white purse with my wallet in it. As I swiftly descended the stairs, I picked up Darry's Newspaper and looked in the 'Help wanted' ads. A few particular ads stood out to me, but the one I wanted the most was at a small Ice cream parlor called Dixie's Creamery. It was only a few blocks from the house, so I could walk. I ripped out the add and stuffed it in my pocket. On my way out I grabbed an apple and then my sun glasses.