Stilettos and Pepsi-Cola

AMBER'S P.O.V.

As we approached the Dairy Queen, Ponyboy held my hand and he told me cheesy jokes that made me giggle like a little girl. I didn't realize it too much before, but Pony was hilarious. We made it to the front entrance and he held the door open for me and I walked in. "Thank you Ponyboy." I said as he smiled in a 'My pleasure' sort of way. 

"You go get us a table, I'll go get us some Pepsi's, okay?" I told Ponyboy when we entered.

Pony nodded and went off to find us somewhere to sit while I walked up to the long line and waited. I pulled out a few coins and started counting them to pass the time. I then looked around the room studying the people around me. Usually, only greasers hung around this Dairy Queen but sometimes the occasional soc would walk in lookin' for a fight. Then I saw a group of girls standing in a bunch and right in the middle of it was an unreal looking girl. She wasn't super tall but had long legs. She had long, straight blonde hair that cut off a little past her shoulders. Her face was done up with bright colors of eyeshadows and blushes. She wore a tight, almost leather-like black dress that clung to her skinny body. Her shoes were bright pink stilettos and were so high, that I could never wear them. The shoes were what made her tall, if she took those off, she would probably be shorter than me by about an inch. But with those on, she was about three inches taller than me. 

She was sipping a Pepsi from the bottle with a straw and was talking to her group. The girls stuck to her like flies and looked like she was their reason for living. I hate those types of girls. She then looked up and make eye contact with me. I quickly averted my eyes, but she still figured out I was staring. She set her bottle down and whispered something to the girl standing next to her. The girl nodded and glanced at me. Then the queen bee made her way over here. As she walked (like she was on a runway of course) I realized a few things. 

1) She had wayyyyy too much cheap perfume on.

2) She looked about my age. 

and

3) She knew how to walk in five-inch stilettos like they were sneakers.

She approached me and smacked her gum. I looked her in the eyes and she smiled looking me up and down when she stopped in front of me. "So you're the Curtis boy's new arm candy?" The girl said looking at me seriously as if she wanted a real response.

"I guess. It's still pretty new, though," I replied not liking this girl's attitude.

The line moved a little forward a little and I moved with it. There was no one behind me, so this girl still stood comfortably. "I'm Kimberly." She said making a half circle around me as if scoping me out.

"Amber," I said nodding my head to her. In reply, she smiled an ugly, fake smile.

  She looked at me in disgust. "Ughh." She muttered. "Ponyboy has never really realized how good of a girl he could get. He deserves better than the likes of you." She told me shifting all her weight onto one leg and popping her hip.

"Yeah, he's pretty good looking, but if he were to date you while you were in those heels, you'd be too tall for him to kiss," I said shooting her a dirty look.

"I'm just sayin'.... If someone really pretty- Like say me, were to come along... Well you might just lose him." I was really starting to hate this girl even more than I thought I could. Then she continued. "So for your sake, honey, You might want to watch your back....." She came up right in front of me and whispered in my ear: "And your boy's lips"

Hate filled my body to the brim and then all of it converged in my arm. I slapped her so hard she instantly was knocked to the side. "The only way you'd ever kiss someone decent is if you paid them, now why don't you go back to the pleather store you crawled out of!"

 She held her face in her hand and looked back up at me in shock and in anger. I looked at her with a satisfied face. When she stood up straight she clutched her fist and pulled it back behind her in a punching position. Just a second before she brought down her fist to my face, most likely, a voice rang out from behind the counter. "Hey! You two dolls take it outside!" 

I looked over to see a middle-aged man in a manager's uniform staring at us and pointing to the door.

"Don't worry sir," I said looking at him, then back to Kimberly. "She wasn't going to do anything anyways."I looked her straight in the eyes and she looked back at me with a lethal anger, the kind of anger that hits you and you think irrationally. 

"Like I said, watch your back!" 

I broke eye contact and walked out of the line to find Ponyboy. I looked around the tables to see him in the back at a booth. I walked up to him. "Hey, let's go get food somewhere else."

Pony stood up and took my hand as we walked towards the door. Kimberly was leaving at the same time as us, so she was in earshot. 

"Why do you want to leave, Amber?" Ponyboy said innocently when opening the door for me and Kimberly.

"It smells like dog and too much cheap perfume," I said loud enough for Kimberly to know that it was directed at her.

I and Pony began walking into town holding hands. "What really happened back there?" Pony asked.

"Do you know a girl named Kimberly?' I answered with a question.

"Umm...." He thought. He looked so cute when he thought. "Yeah, she is a cheerleader in our grade. One of the only greasers on the cheer squad."

"She is a greaser?" I asked.

"Yeah but she mostly hangs with socs. We have a few classes together, and we used to be lab partners." Pony said. Pony grasped my hand harder and lead me into an alley. "C'mon, I know a shortcut to the DX." 

I followed him into the alley and sped up my walking so I was a little in front of him just enough so I couldn't see him and he couldn't see me thinking and looking distraught. The only sense of him there was his warm hand. I was debating on whether to tell him what happened or not. I decided it would be best to. "Well, Kimberly came up to me while I was in line-"

I was cut off by Ponyboy grunting and him releasing my hand. I looked back to see him lying on the ground moaning with his eyes closed. He was rubbing his head and I was about to ask what happened when I felt someone tap my shoulder. I turned around to see what it was just to be greeted by a dark figure, swinging a piece of pipe at my head. The impact hurt like hell and knocked my to the ground. Everything was going dark and I could feel someone start to drag me away.

"Ponyyy...." I wanted to moan but before I could, I fell unconscious to the smell of wayyyyy too much cheap perfume.