Seeing stars

PONY'S P.O.V.

I opened my eyes when I heard Sodapop's voice coming from the kitchen. I fell asleep on the couch next to the TV last night. I felt groggy and still half asleep. Until I heard the topic of Sodapop's conversation. "We practically searched everywhere we are allowed to search. I can't believe we haven't found her yet!" 

I shot up and ran into the kitchen. "You didn't find her?" I asked right as I bolted in.

Soda, Darry, and Steve all stood in the kitchen giving me sympathetic looks. It made me uncomfortable after a while. Then Darry spoke up. "Pony, we looked everywhere we could think of. Is there anywhere that you think she might be?"

I thought, but nowhere came to mind. I shook my head in frustration. I kicked the leg of the table in anger and sat down on the ground. I didn't realize it at the time, but I started crying uncontrollably. Sodapop came over and sat down putting an arm around me. "Don't worry Pony, we'll find her. We'll find her." 

Steve then promptly walked out after whispering something to Darry and Darry nodding back to him. I didn't notice Steve leave though. Steve was never one for the comforting type.

The whole situation made my blood boil. I was with her when she got taken, I was responsible for her, and I let her get dragged away while I laid there. "This is my fault," I said quietly, but just loud enough for everyone to hear. I dug my head into Soda's neck and continued to cry. 

"Pony," Said Darry sternly enough to get me to look up. "I need you to try and remember anything that happened last night. Amber hasn't been here long so she had to have made someone mad."

I thought about who Amber could have provoked and only a few people came to mind. But the one that stood out the most was Dallas. "She and Dallas got in a fight yesterday..." I said. Even though I hate Dally, I felt bad for accusing someone in the gang.

"Yeah." Said Soda standing up. "Pony told me about that, apparently Dal got real mad at her and called her some names. Then Pony gave it to em' and he ran out." 

Darry then looked at me. "You beat em' up?" He asked me sounding slightly impressed.  I nodded putting my hand on the back of my neck. Darry huffed air out of his mouth quickly as if laughing and congratulating me at the same time. "Well, I didn't see that one coming..." Darry said smiling but looking down trying to hide his pride. 

"Well, I don't know if Dally would do something that rash," Soda started. "But that's the only thing we got to go on right now." Soda turned back to me waiting for my approval. 

I thought for a moment and then spoke. "We can go, but I want the rest of the gang to be out looking for her." I said.

Sodapop and Darry nodded and Darry walked over to the telephone. "I'll call Steve, Two-Bit and Johnny and tell them to be lookin' for her. You two go start the car, we are going to Dally's."

Me and Soda walked out to the car and I realized, that I hadn't changed since yesterday. Soda got in the passenger seat and I looked at my reflection in the window. My hair was messy and the back was flat sticking out in tuffs everywhere. Almost all the grease had come out and my long bangs stuck to my forehead. I didn't look too tuff. My clothes were kind of dirty and smelled like I had been wearing them a while (Which I had). 

I opened the door of the car and got in the back seat. Darry had just bought a used car from the junkyard because Two-Bit crashed Darry's truck. Soda and Steve had been fixing it up pretty well, though. It ran good, but it still needed a new coat of paint. It was an old T-bird that had gotten in a few wrecks, and still had a few scarring dents to show for it. But once Soda and Steve got done with it, it was gonna look like the tuffest car in Tulsa.