Locked in a room

This from an old friend of mine and me when she was about 16, and had moved into a new house that had been on the market for some time. It was built in the 1920's I remember seeing the old pipes that were still running with water, they were kind of rusty and larger than pipes I see today.. anyways the house had been vacant for about 10 years or so, the last person to own had died of a heart attack and his son had inherited the house. He didn't like the house so he put it up for sale.. after 10 years of no tenants my friends parents had finally found their new dreamhouse.

It was a major fixer upper basically and a lot of area's to explore all over, the house had 4 bedrooms with nicotine stained yellow walls that were once a creme color, a attic at the end of the hallway the height of the hallway was about 15 feet tall easily, about 10 in width. There were 3 and a half bathrooms in the house, 2 up stairs, a half bathroom in the furthest room down the hall, and a bathroom downstairs. The rooms were quite large and wide as well(can't remember how big though. It was a country like area in the Hocking Hills, Oh. Their land was large and quite woodland looking as there was easily a footbal field or two wide and long it was at least 600 feet to either house on both sides. The house itself was a pale fading/chipping brown with a door to the basement on the outside. I don't remember much about the basement either just large and dark.

My friend (we will call her Elaine) took the first room she saw and had me start moving stuff off the moving truck to her room ( Thankfully all she had was one 6 drawer dresser, queen size mattress and oak wood setup for her bed, tv and clothes.)

She was the kind of girl who didn't like having a lot of things she was more of a outdoor girl. She liked taking pictures and talking to random people, she was a very high spirited person. Back on track.. anyways she let me stay over a lot her parents approved of me cause I wasn't into her like that.. her dad liked having my help around as well. She is a awesome friend.

Fast forward about 6 months and they had finally got the house looking very decent and suitable to start having a house warming party. Inviting friends and family to see their new house and enjoy some drinks a cookout and I brought my guitar along to play as well cause I enjoyed playing a low loud note(I'd even tune my strings low and wait and see if I could get coyotes howling back(I had the amp up loud but on a clean tone so I didn't piss the neighbors around off, doubt they'd hear it though.)

The party was quite fun, good rock music and my occasional guitar riffing to certain bands and some of me messing around (being a showoff technically) Elaines father had cooked chicken, pork, burgers, and made side like potato salad and macaroni salad. They had their newly built summer deck lit up with bright colored lights and speakers, along with built in benches and tables bolted down and very nice looking cushions place on the benches.

After a few hours of eating, talking, jamming out, and a few drinks me and Elaine had snuck off with to drink, smoke a couple bowls as well.. the party ends and their family leaves. Her parents decide to go to bed and me and her just sit outside still listening to how peaceful and quiet it was. We were hitting a bong just relaxing. I heard a small rustling sound out near the trees that were only about 40 feet away from the deck...

I stand up and motion my hand towards her mouth to be quiet and I just listen very hard. I'm no hunter but I have good hearing, I hear the sound again a very loud rustling this time. I grab Elaines hand.. pulling her towards the sliding door and shove her in along with me flying in, I grab my little aluminum bat (that I call Lucy, like the show!.) I run out on the deck I walk down the stairs since the deck is about 10 up off the ground, I begin running towards the woods and shout "HEY.. ANYBODY IN THERE!!.. I HAVE A BAT AND I WILL START SWINGING AT YOU.. YOU FUCKER." ... Nothing... Not even a twig snapping.

I begin walking towards a opening to enter a short trail, I make it about a few feet in and I hear a loud hissing sound.. Elaines parents were outside by this time shouting at me "ITS JUST A DAMN SKUNK.. GET YOUR ASS AWAY FROM THERE BEFORE IT SPRAYS YOU." I quickly back out and move back towards the deck and I thought to myself... "What the hell was I overreacting for.." I chuckle softly thinking I was just paranoid not use to country areas much.