Zombie Incident

It wasn't like I was trying to be a hard ass. But being so young and new to the force, I want to make a difference. Okay, I know that it seems like giving the guy a ticket for going five miles above the speed limit is a dick move, but what if he hit a couple of kids just out here riding their bikes? Laws are in place for a reason, and I believe in carrying them out. Not to be a dick, but so that people do not get hurt.

Having only graduated from Palm Beach State College with an associates in Criminal Justice two months prior, I hadn't seen much of what is considered being "out there." Me and my partner, Officer Mason Bennett, mainly do routine traffic stops, and this was the most action I'd seen, asking a perp to step out of his vehicle because he smelled like weed.

In the hot sun, I searched both him and his vehicle a good thirty minutes and found nothing. After that, he flat out told me to my face with a shrug, "Smoked it all. Good try though. A for effort." In the end, I had to let him go with a ticket for going 40 in a 35.

The whole time my partner just sat in the patrol car, watching. Disappointed, I headed back to the car with my head down. Once I got in the vehicle, Bennett told me, "Can't win them all." I guess that's right. Can't win them all.

My name is Jason Remar and I am a police officer for the Martin County Sheriff's Office. My route is Tequesta, a gated community in the North Palm Beach area where houses range between the two hundred-thousands to five million depending on how close you are to the beach. Like I said, mostly traffic violations.

The day proceeded as usual, a few speeders and one kid who took a bad spill on his mountain bike while doing some stupid trick to impress a girl, and a normal night followed. It was nearing midnight and still in the upper eighties, the humidity almost a hundred percent. Even at night, summers in Florida can be extremely hot. If you're outside for more than twenty minutes, you're going to sweat. It's that simple. Bennett, being a big guy, had the air conditioner blasting on high. I didn't mind because that's how I like to sleep at home, my AC set to 68 degrees.

Dispatch was echoing in the background with the familiar chirp every few seconds. I was thinking about lunch after glancing at my phone to check the time. Because we work the second shift, starting at 4:00 pm and ending at 4:00 am, our lunch is usually about midnight. I was about to suggest we grab a bite from Wendy's when dispatch came over the radio asking for our unit.

"Unit 25, can you respond to a 30? Report came in as a 911 call. Over."

A "30" is usually a shooting or stabbing. Like I said, I wanted to make a difference, and writing tickets was important but not real cop work and I really wanted the real thing, but for some reason, a sense of unease crept through me.

Bennett picked up the mic and brought it close to his face. He held down the button with his thumb. "Dispatch, this is 25. Copy that. We're on our way to the 30, over."

"Unit 25, I have sent the address. Proceed with caution. Over."

The address popped up on your screen. Kokomo Lane. My partner put the mic back on the dash and I clicked the switch to turn on the flashing lights and make the siren blare. He pushed down the gas pedal and the roar of our cruiser sounded. We sped through the neighborhood. Inside my chest, my heart was pounding. A shooting or a stabbing. Well, this was new. You want to make a difference, I reminded myself.

A few minutes later, we pulled into the driveway of the address dispatch had sent us.

My unease turned to actual chills running down my spine. In our headlights was a young man, no older than twenty-one or twenty-two, sitting on top of another man, straddling him with both of his hands flat on the pavement. His blond hair was soaked with blood and it was smeared all over his face, but the most sickening thing was he was chewing on the victim's cheek. Our cruiser's emergency lights added to an already chilling scene, bathing him in alternating patterns of red and blue.