My therapist is wrong

Years ago something happened that i haven't been able to tell anyone but the police about and i think its slowly eating away at me. It's time to get it out before it all becomes too much, its not easy keeping big secrets for years.

I was thirteen at the time, and nineteen now. That, put together with the general trauma of it all results in some parts of the experience being very, very fuzzy and hard to remember or explain, so I'm sorry if some of it is difficult to understand.

My parents were very well off due to having a business that had been passed down several generations. Think Wayne Enterprises and you pretty much have my family, but I'm no Batman. Because my parents had money, they had connections and friends all over the world. My parents best friend though, was Richard Charles Duvant and he lived in India with his wife, daughter and likely a few illegal servants since he was that kind of guy.

Richard and his wife died when i was thirteen, though i still don't really know from what i have my guesses. We were told it was either malaria or a heart attack that finished them but i don't see why they would both die from a heart attack on the same night. Richards last wish was, reportedly, that my father took in his daughter as his own. Of course, my father couldn't turn that down and we were soon on our way to India to pick up my new 'sister'.

The hospital floor was a shiny walnut and the white shoes my mother had bought me specially for the occasion clacked against it in a way that made me feel very grown up. My white dress fluttered against my knees and i looked into each patient filled room as we walked past.

Some were just laying there as though they were already dead, others were covered in blood soaked bandages groaning. My mother had her arm clenched around my shoulders to try to stop me from looking.

The second we entered the doors into the children ward we could see her. We knew it was her because Richard had sent us pictures. She wasn't his biological daughter but because his wife couldn't have children, they had adopted her and loved her as their own.

She made me feel strange. She was at least half a foot taller than my mother, only slightly shorter than my father, and her skin was dark and leathery. Her hair was coarse and coated with dust, as though she hadn't brushed it for weeks. I ignored all that though, wanting to make my parents proud. I walked straight up to her and introduced myself while flashing my brightest smile. She looked straight at me but seemed to be looking through me. No reaction showed on her face and eventually i turned back to my parents, confused and somewhat disheartened.

They had to fill in some paper work so they followed a nurse into her office and left me with my new sister. I tried talking to her more but was greeted once again with no response. We soon went back to our hotel, ate some food and slept before boarding a plane home the next day. The entire time, my new sister said nothing. We weren't even entirely sure what her name was.

When my mother showed her her new room, which had been lavishly decorated, all she did was nod and sit down on the bed staring straight ahead until my mother returned down stairs to prepare some lunch.

The first night she stayed with us i woke up in the darkness to see her standing over my bed, staring down at me. I screamed and my mother ran in, ushering my 'sister' back to her room before coming back to calm me down and tell me she was probably just scared or lonely being in a new place so far from her home.

I accepted that explanation and when i woke up to her staring at me every night for the next month i would just take her back to her room before returning to my own bed to sleep. It was when she had been with us for around seven weeks that that changed. I awoke to see 'her' standing above me like usual but as i was about to sit up to take her back to her room i noticed she wasn't wearing her nightgown. She wasn't wearing anything and she was very much a fully grown man.

I screamed but he clasped a hand to my mouth and pushed me hard into the bed. I don't want to go into detail of what happened here but I'm sure you can make your own assumptions. Eventually, he was finished with me and ran from my room. I took a few seconds to try not to breakdown before running to my parents room where they were both still asleep in bed. I shook my mother first, frantic and in pain but got no response from her and so tried to wake my father, again to no response. I would lated find out they had both been suffocated with pillows.

I ran to the phone and dialled 911, trying to tell the police everything. This is where it goes a little blurry. The person on the phone told me police would be there soon and to stay on the line but i was grabbed from behind and pulled away, through the kitchen and out the back door.

The dew on the grass made my feet cold and slippery as i was dragged backwards. I tried my best to remain standing but eventually my feet were just too numb from the cold and i resorted to allowing him to drag me. He got to the perimeter wall but it was far too high to climb, never mind pull me over, so he began to walk along it. I assume he was looking for an exit.

I'm not sure how things happened from then. The police came, i know that. They had their guns aimed at us and he pushed me at them. I don't know what he did but he managed to get away.

I was seen to by paramedics and told my parents were dead, then asked lots of questions about everything that had happened. I think i was in the hospital for a bit before i was taken to my aunts house, my new home, where most of my belongings had already been moved to.

I rebuilt my life from there, went to a new school but couldn't bring myself to go to college. I started working at a diner after high school. Recently, late at night i've been able to see someone stood outside peering in from just beyond where the light from our windows ends and I'm sure its him. I don't know what he wants to do to me but I'm terrified.

My therapist said something about living my life inside my head rather than face what i've done but she doesn't see the way he smiles at me from the dark, light glinting off his teeth while i grin back.