The last step

What are you doing right now? Are you slumped on your couch mindlessly flipping through the TV channels? Are you tiredly scrolling through your Facebook feed for the fiftieth time today? Well shut that stuff down, and get off of your lazy bum because we're going on an adventure.

What? It's one in the morning? Yes, I'm quite aware, but these types of adventures can only happen so late at night. You see, this is the time when all the creatures that dare not be seen during the day can come out to play...with you. This is the time when the thick, velvet darkness of night will gladly wrap its fingers around you protectively...or the thing following behind you. Everything that hides from light can safely crawl out from their hiding spots so that they can find you...feed on your fear... This is the only time when you can see them up close...

Is it safe, you ask?

Just listen to my directions, and you'll be fine. Listen to my words, and you can make a friend for life and live to tell the tale.

All right. Got your shoes on and jacket zipped up tight? Good. It's time to head out.

You won't have to walk for very long on this adventure. Why? Because the thing we're going to visit doesn't live very far from you. You've probably walked past its hideout many times during the day without noticing...but don't worry. You're not the only one. It lives on anonymity. You haven't seen it, but it has seen you...hundreds of times. It knows your face by heart- from the deep colour of your eyes to that freckle you have on your cheek. But don't worry- it's this creature's knowledge of you that will keep you alive...long enough for you to get away, that is.

Why? You sure ask a lot of questions. But I'll tell you. This thing has lived alone for so long, crawling around in the suffocating dark, musty rooms underground. It moans and groans as it moves...those long, sharp nails screeching as they're dragged across the cracked, concrete floors. Its wrinkled claws have been covered in blood so many times that the skin on its hands is no longer white, but a dark, dark red- so red it looks black.

It has no one, but that is for the best since its desire for company is sometimes overruled by its thirst for blood- your blood, really. Human blood.

Oh look, you've made it! Surprised? I can see the recognition on your face. Yes, this is the building just a few streets down from your home. The one that's always in a state of "renovation". But is it really? Have you ever seen anyone go in...or better yet...come out?

Ah, now you're starting to remember. Whenever you walked by this building, did a feeling of unease start to creep over you? The sense that someone...or something was watching you? You probably sped up a little on your walk back home, ignoring the hairs that stood up on the back of your neck, or the small goose bumps that ran across your flesh as you convinced yourself that you were just in a hurry to get back to your couch and relax.

That's what I thought. Well there's no turning back now.

Slowly walk up to the front entrance. No, the door won't be locked, and don't ask why. Open the door and step into the lobby. Yes, I know it's dark, but you're going to have to deal with it. Like I said, nothing that lives in the dark will like any kind of light.

You should be able to see a large empty desk right in front of you. See it? Good. Now walk up to the desk and reach over the divider with your left arm. No- don't try and peek over the divider...they won't like it. Just reach and feel around. Your hand may brush some objects that feel...questionable. Ignore them. There are many things on that desk, but what you're searching for is a key.

Do you feel it? The tiny, cold object with rigid edges? Perfect. Grab it.

Wait! Don't pull your hand back yet- there's still one more thing to grab if you want to walk out of this mostly intact. There should be something that feels like a small, glass bottle. Don't ask what's inside it- just get it.