Reborn : Insights

Reborn: Insights

"I want you to forget what just happened...what you..what you almost did. It did not happen." His voice was shaky and intense. When I didn't say anything he shook me hard.

"Tell me you understand. This is important."

"Yes. I...nothing happened." I stammered. I was truly afraid. Afraid of what he was going to do, afraid for myself and for this unborn child.

So much had happened and I kept getting pulled into new strange situations. I truly did not know what to expect next. He gave a long sigh and stared at the floor for what felt like an eternity. He seemed like he was trying to gather his thoughts. I felt like I should say something but I wasn't sure what.

He finally stood up and crossed the room to the door, opening it. He didn't turn back towards me but told me to follow him. Once again I began to cry. It seemed a common occurrence now; I wasn't sure how I had any tears left. I was afraid he would take me back to the hole. I broke the rules and now I was going to have to pay. I didn't get up. I didn't budge. I just sat there and cried. When he stepped towards me I couldn't help but cry out.

"Don't take me back to the hole." I pleaded with every ounce of effort I could.

He came to me and wrapped his arms around me. He held me and let me cry until I couldn't cry anymore. He ran his fingers across my cheek ever so softly wiping my tears away.

"You have to trust me. There is nothing to fear."

Trust him? Was he serious? After all of this he expected me to trust him? I grew angry at the very thought.

I shook him off and stood up ready to face whatever was to come. I couldn't hide from it or wish it away. It was what it was. And at least I would face it on my own terms. I wouldn't be some weak thing for him to comfort. It made me sick. My anger propelled me forward.

I followed him out into the hallway. He took my hand and I didn't resist. He led me a short distance and past three sets of locked doors. We came to an elevator, he hit the button and we waited for it in silence. As we rode up two floors I tried not to think about what would be waiting. At least we were not headed down back to the hole.

The doors opened to a large open room. It looked like a lobby to some large office. I took a deep breath and followed him forward. One step in I was frozen in shock. This was definitely not what I was expecting.

To the left of us was a huge almost floor to ceiling window; almost filling the entire space of the wall. I was met with a beautiful bright blue sky. A few poofy white clouds scattered in the distance. Under that was an ocean of green lush forest as far as I could see. It was so beautiful. I hadn't seen any hint of outside in so long. It felt like freedom was within reach even though I knew it wasn't. But this...this was hope.

I may have just stared out the window for hours if I had not heard someone clearing their throat behind me. I spun around as fast as I possibly could.

On the couch across from us sat a man and a woman. They were both dressed all in black just like my kidnapper always was. They stared at us with looks of confused irritation. The woman's mouth hung open. They just sat there staring at us not saying a word. Another woman was on the other side of the room. She was dressed in white like me and wore a familiar chain around her neck. She was on all fours scrubbing the floor. She didn't look up at us.

The sight of people made me lose any sense of composure I could have possibly had. I started forward rushing towards the two on the couch screaming and begging them to help me.

Ofcourse afterwards it occurred to me that was quite the mistake. But the chance at being saved overcame any sense of rational. They didn't move from their seats but both began laughing in unison. I fell to my knees crying in front of them as familiar hands grabbed me pulling me back. No one said a single word as he continued to drag me to my feet and across the room and through another door.