Look at its face

So far, my day off work has been like most of my day offs. I woke up with determination. Today, I will get out of bed early. Today, I will engage in an outdoor recreational activity, or do something productive. Today, I will get things done! With a great deal of effort, I rolled over on my side, snatching my Ipad off the nightstand. My heart sank as I saw the time - 10:27am.

I rationalized that it is way too late to do anything. By the time I get myself out of bed, out of my pajamas, and into the shower it will be way too late to do anything meaningful. Besides, I couldn't think of anything that sounded more enchanting than laying around in my pj's all day long. So, I decided to do my favorite time passing activity. It's Youtube time! I entered my four digit passcode on my Ipad, swiped to the Youtube app, and beheld the trending videos of the day.

I kicked the down comforter off my sweaty pajama clad body and rolled closer to the bedside fan. My room was particularly hot and muggy this day, but not uncommon for the first few budding days of summer. As I basked in the air beating down on me from my fan, I scrolled through the trending videos. I came to my first interesting looking video, which was very creatively entitled, "Top 10 Scary Videos on Youtube." I thought to myself, that this is a very interesting subject that I would like to learn more about. So, I clicked on the video and braced myself for the horror buried deep in the realm of the internet.

Some of the videos confused me, some made me chuckle, and some gave me chills. Videos entitled "I Feel Fantastic," and "There is nothing" blasted through the speakers of my Ipad. Confusing images such as "Obey the Walrus," and "Pretty Woman" danced on my screen, as I inched my nose closer and closer to get a better look at what I was seeing. Unsatisfied I began to search for more and more strange and creepy videos. Minutes passed into hours. Before I knew it, the time read 4:47pm on my Ipad. But I just couldn't stop. I was addicted, and craving my next frightening fix.

Eventually, I made my way to a wildly interesting string of videos featuring supposed "haunted" dolls. I watched video after video of dolls slightly moving; dolls changing facial expressions, and tales of scary personal encounters with the so called spirited poppets. I gradually fell deeper and deeper into this bizarre, yet much discussed subject. And then I saw it. A thumbnail showing a plastic vintage doll sitting in what appeared to be a vintage upholstered chair. Something about the video called to me. It had only 17 views and was uploaded years ago.

The name of the video was, "Look at Its face!" I clicked on the thumbnail and waited for the video to load on the screen. Instantly, I felt that something was not quite right. The video featured a plastic blond doll with a short 1950's style haircut. The doll was wearing a crisp bright yellow dress with a white bow around the collar. The doll sat in the middle of an old upholstered forest green reclining chair, and the camera was still and fixated on the doll. I took note of the dirty looking wall behind the chair. At one time, it was white, but now you can clearly see nicotine stains and dirty hand prints gracing its surface.

One of the things that jolted me a little about the doll was the odd expression it had on its face. It was neither smiling, nor frowning. It seemed to not have an expression at all! Its plastic blue eyes staring blankly toward the camera. About 2 minutes or so into the video of watching this doll do absolutely nothing, I began to hear a ragged breathing coming through my speakers. The breathing began to pick up pace and you can hear someone putting their face up close to the camera.

Suddenly, a man whispers directly next to the camera in excitement, "Look at its face!" Another few seconds pass, and you hear another even more enthusiastic whisper, "Look at its face!" As if the man was going to burst with utter unadulterated joy, he exclaimed this time out loud, "Look at its face! Just look at its face!" The man sounded as if he just won the Powerball; a strange emotional outburst for a doll sitting still in a chair with no activity to be had whatsoever.