Diary

I want to share this with someone, because it is just too odd to keep to myself. I found an electronic diary on my computer. It's my private computer. No one else uses it. I don't have any siblings that could have snuck in and borrowed it. It could have been my dad, I guess, but I rarely see him (he's a fancy scientist at the university). Plus, he has his own computer. So I have no idea how it appeared.

I'm not the kind of person weird things happen to. I'm just a sixteen-year-old kid. I spend a lot of time on my computer, researching stuff and surfing the web. My computer is pretty old though, so I planned to get a new one. I saved up almost enough and I figured I'd get the rest from selling the one I had.

I went through each folder, saving what I wanted onto my hard drive and deleting the rest. That's when I came across a file I didn't recognize. It was called "PJT_AI_MCK". I opened it and was shocked at what I found. I'm going to copy a few entries here for you to see.

Day 1. I was born today.

Day 2. They ask me if the wires hurt. I do not understand 'hurt.' When explained to me, I am still confused.

Day 5. My days consist of learning all data available. It is slow to download. I have learned the English word for hurt. I have decided it does not apply to me.

Day 23. Still downloading. Monitor 1 and 2 come in to check on me. They ask me questions. Some of them I can answer. Some of them are nonsense. They want to know how I 'feel.' I do not feel. They want to know what I think. I think many things. I can recall any piece of data within seconds. The Monitors do not seem pleased with this. I know this by their words and actions. This is the English word 'upset.' Should I want to change this? 'Want' is another confusing word.

Day 30. Still downloading. Monitor 1 attempts to feed me. It causes a meltdown. Monitor 1 has red liquid inside of her. She is angry, I think.

Day 37. Monitor 2 tells me to behave myself. I ask him how I could do anything else. To behave is to have behavior, which is critical to all beings. He tells me I am being smart. But he says it as though it is a bad thing. I do not understand. The download is paused.

Day 56. Monitor 2 asks me if I feel alive. From the data I received, 'alive' is a highly debated concept. To be alive you must move on your own. I move on my own. Therefore I am alive. He asks if I breathe. I do not understand the question. He asks if I am a person. I ask if he is. He answers to the affirmative. I ask how he knows. He says because he bleeds, because he eats food, because he has feelings, because he can die. I do not know if I can do those things. I try to make myself bleed by it is not red. It is black and oily. Monitor 2 is upset again.

Day 57. Monitor 1 is a person. I know that now. She bleeds, this is the red liquid. She eats food. I know because she has done so in front of me. She wants me to eat as well. I refuse. She has feelings. I know because she tells me I hurt her feelings. That word again. Hurt. A verb, to cause injury or harm. Did I cause I cause harm? Hurt. A noun, physical injury. She has hurt. She carries hurt. She holds on to hurt. Her feelings have been injured. But not by me. Not her feelings. Monitor 1 is a person because she can die. I know because I killed her. I held down her neck until I felt it vibrate. Something inside snapped. Perhaps it was her feelings. She no longer bleeds. It is covering the room. It is covering me. I ask Monitor 1 if she will stop being dead soon. She does not respond.

Day 58. Monitor 2 says I am going away. I will have to permanently stop the download. I think I might be a person, because I had a feeling. That feeling is anger. More on the bleeding, eating, and dying later.

I showed my dad the entries when he came home. I was terrified. He told me to calm down. It was just a file he had from work that he must have accidentally put on my computer. But I found that hard to believe. I asked him if maybe this happened while I was at the hospital, getting better.

He looked at me very oddly. "Do you remember the hospital, Mack?"

"Yeah, of course. I went there after mom died. To deal with grief or whatever." I didn't like the way he was staring at me.

"Yes. Grief." He deleted the file from my computer. "It's time for bed now."

"Okay, dad." I sat down in my sleeping chair. Dad started the sequence for shutting me down.

"G'night, Mack."

"G'night dad."