My first basement

When I was 4, both my parents had to work. They would drop me off at my grandparents house that was a block away from our home. Not sure if I should type this story out, but I'm already hitting depression just thinking about it.

Okay like every 4 year old, you go and explore random places without a thought or any cautious attention. My dumbass 4 year old self was very brave and was not scared at anything. If you tried to scare me, (from what I was told) I would just stare and laugh. Wouldn't even jump if I heard any loud bangs or had something pop at my face.

So, my grandparents had this basement that I like to go to. But the door to the basement was closed if no one was in there. Usually I would climb up and down the stairs when my grandma had to do laundry since the basement door was open. For some reason I was interested in this basement. Like I was obsessed with it.

I kept asking one of my grandparents to come with me to open the door because for some ridiculous reason, the door knob was too high for me to reach. My grandparents would tell me no and that there's a monster living there and likes to eat bad children, blah, blah, blah...Of course my dumbass 4 year old self was also a cocky brat who didn't know shit.

One day, both my grandparents were watching tv. I got bored and decided to explore the house. I would play with this toy that made popping sounds when you rolled the wheels. I was looking all swag with a sippy cup and this annoying ball popping push cart.

Rolling the cart, circling the dining room table, and I would make small stops after one lap to take a sip from my sippy cup. Like I said, all swag. Every now and then I would stop and stare at the closed basement door that was in the corner of the dining room. You know how a child would have crazy imaginations? To this day, I still question if that was really my imagination....

I don't know. I was really drawn to this door like something wanted me to open it and go down. But of course I knew I couldn't reach and I had to stop bothering my grandparents. So going around the laps, sipping, and trying to distract myself from the door, I heard a noise. I stopped my lap and noticed the dining room table blocked my view of the door. Nothing. Okay, whatever. So i went back to my lap. Scratch scratch scratch.

I had to stop for a minute to breathe. Just typing this out is bringing out shitty memories. Sorry.

Scratch scratch scratch. I stopped completely and this time i was standing in front of the closed door. I carefully put down the handle of the ball cart and my sippy cup. I stood there staring at the door and was confused. In my 4 year old mind, no one should be in the basement.

When that door is closed, in my 4 year old mind, it meant no one was home. So I walked up real close to the door and placed my ear to it. Nothing. But I felt cold air that was blasting at my feet. I looked down and moved my feet back. The cold air felt like someone was breathing underneath the door. Exhaling and inhaling. The inhaling of the cold air felt like a pull. Like it wanted to pull me through the door.

Just remembering that moment made me laugh, like wtf was I thinking when I was 4? A normal child should have ran or have developed natural instinct when there's danger or get a grown-up. But at that moment, i stayed and listened. Scratch scratch scratch. Whoever was scratching behind that door, was as tall as I was. I extended both my hands out and scratched back. Scratch scratch scratch. Three times. So i scratched two times. Scratch scratch.

The person was playing with me. I got excited and decided to scratch from the highest reach i could and scratch 3 times. I waited. SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRATCH. But this time the scratching moved all the way top to the door. I suddenly moved back. A weird feeling came over me. All i could remember was, that i got upset and wanted to go back to my mother.

BANG BANG BANG

I didnt remember how long i stood there but now the person on the other side of the door was getting upset that I wasn't responding. I quickly grabbed my sippy cup, leaving my ball cart and ran to the living room where my grandparents were. My grandma was asking where i went. I kept quiet and didn't say anything.

Next week came and again i was back at my grandparents house. This time I was very cautious. My grandma was getting ready to go down the basement to do laundry and she called me over. I didn't want to move. I sat between my grandpa's knees. My grandma was wondering what happened to me and said, "oh what happened? You always get excited to go down the basement."

My grandpa carried me up and was going to walk towards the basement but I shook my head and put my head down on my grandpa's shoulder. "Nap nap" "She's wants to sleep. I'm going to nap with her." My grandpa head up to the second floor while carrying me. A big relief came when i was far away from the basement and this time I was with my grandpa.

Both of us laid on his bed and i fell asleep. Don't remember what happened, but I saw my grandma was in bed also sleeping. I looked around and both my grandparents were snoring. I was the only one up. It was still day light and i climbed off the bed. Went to the toilet and went down the living room to watch tv.

Heard a sound like a click and door creak coming from the dining room. I thought it was my grandma going back down to the basement to get laundry. But i didn't see her come down from the second floor. I waited for the sound of footsteps going down the basement stairs. Nothing. I climbed off the sofa and slowly looked into the dining room. The basement door was open. I slowly and quietly walked up to the basement. "Grandma!!!!" I quickly called thinking my grandma might be down there. Silence.

I regretted for ever stepping down to that basement alone since that day.

The cocky brat took over my 4 year old body and went down the dark stairs. As soon as my tiny feet touch the ground floor, EXHALE INHALE. The cold air hit my tiny body. I looked around and saw a mini kitchen. Left side of the kitchen was a bathroom. On the right side there's a hallway with 3 rooms attached. It was dark and only little light was coming from upstairs and the one kitchen window that was covered with newspapers.

"Baby!!!! Baby! Where did you go?" Grandma's voice was coming from upstairs. My tiny feet moved up towards the stairs. But something stopped me. SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRATCH I turned where the scratching was. All i could remember was long black hair with big red eyes looking at me. The person had very long arms and made the scratching noise with its very long fingers. SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRATCH "Baby!!!!" I broke away from the red eyes and ran up the stairs. Suddenly i felt heavy weight following after me.

I looked behind me, the person was crawling after me with it's long arms and abnormal long skinny legs. I couldn't scream. I couldn't even make a sound. My body reached the light and i was out of the basement, but i noticed the dining room was getting darker. I hurried to the bright living room and saw my grandma. I ran up to her and hugged behind her. My grandma laughed and held me up.

"Baby what happened? Where'd you go?" I buried my face and wanted to cover my eyes to erase that creature from my mind. "Monster" My grandma walked towards the basement with me. "Uh oh. Did the monster chased you?" My grandma turned on a light switch of the basement stairs. "Look, there's no monster. The monster is asleep. It only comes out at night."

But from what I saw, as she held me in her arms were the red eyes and black massive shadow at the bottom of the stairs. Looking right at me. "The monster isn't there." My grandma turned the light off and shut the door. The next week after that, I saw a new top lock on the basement door.

I didn't know what to say or how to explain what had happened. How can any one believe that there was a monster in a basement from a 4 year old perspective? I still have nightmares from that basement. But you already know that, don't you?