34| Demure

3 4

D e m u r e 

  /dɪˈmjʊə/ 

(adj.) reserved and shy.

  ●●●   

I'm scared because I care.

●●●  

Aaron couldn't quite ponder on what happened.

It was hard thinking straight when he could still feel his heart in his throat and his brain frenzying to find answers on why his father wanted to have a word by tomorrow morning.

Rose was quiet too; her eyes drowsily focused on the necklace that hung down Aaron's neck. He knew it intrigued her when he first slept without his shirt – It's hot, do you mind? – and it was the first thing her eyes snapped to.

It has been a while since he'd worn the silver chain, but he remembered to before they left for Ontario.

Her brown eyes were so soft. "What does this mean?" Her fingers were softly tracing the pendant that hung on the silver chain; a capital J, along with a capital R that were just beside each other.

He remembered getting the R right after he realized he loved Rose. "Initials," He told her simply, a small smile on his lips.

"Initials?" Rose's eyebrows were furrowed, but Aaron could make out the specks of amusement in her eyes. "J for James," Aaron nodded, and she was smiling now, and there was just something about her voice that made Aaron's chest heave in delight. "And R..."

"Who do you think?"

A cheeky smile bloomed on her lips, but the tinge of pink brushed across her cheeks. "Ron Weasley?"

Aaron grinned, shaking his head. "Try again."

"Fictional or real?"

"For fuck's sake Rose, fictional characters will always be real to me."

She laughed. "Point taken." Rose went into thought again. "Is it Regulus Black?"

"Rose," Aaron was laughing now, amused. "It's a real person."

"Really?" Her eyes were still in thought, but they were drowsy. "I can't think straight. My feet hurt and I am tired."

"She is an obvious choice," Aaron told her, a small smile gracing his lips. "You know her very well actually."

"Let me think," Rose's eyes were indeed getting drowsy. Aaron could almost see Hogwarts hiding in the specks of her iris. "Me?"

Aaron laughed. "Of course it would be you," He could feel her trace the pendant; a soft hue of brown settling in her eyes. Aaron almost thought he was looking at something that only existed in dreams. "It could only ever be you." He murmured, smiling when Rose's eyes started to droop.

"You always find a way to make my heart smile, Aaron," Rose sleepily mumbled, already nuzzling her head in the crook of his neck. "It scares me sometimes."

Aaron kissed the top of her head. "Just like how you make mine's smile."

She smiled one last time before her eyelids veiled her shimmering irises, and Aaron could've sworn he saw the glimmer of unshed tears. And he was right when he noticed a lonely tear drop down her cheek.