ix.

''I shouldn't be here.'' I thought out loud as Devin drove up to the Hainan ranch. I actually shouldn't even be with Devin. I wonder what Mrs. Summers would say if she knew I was with my brother . . . a brother who I just found out about. She'll probably take this chance and give me to Devin to take care of.

''Do you have a curfew?" he asked.

''Yeah,'' I said as I looked at him. ''I never follow the rules though, but . . . I spent my whole life with these people talking trash about them. I shouldn't be hanging out with them.''

''They're your people.'' he said and I scoffed. ''You're pretty close to Blue it seems.''

''Blue, she’s . . . cool.'' I said. ‘‘She’s . . . it’s hard to say she's my cousin. I've gone to school with her and now?'

''Now it's time to be where you belong.'' he said. ''You always felt different? It's because you are. Here, you'll find yourself feeling like you belong.''

''I don't wanna see someone here.'' I said. Well, two people.”

''Who?" he asked.

Killian, I thought. ''Will,'' I said. ''That Lincoln guy tried saying I'm paired with him? Said our 'father' and Will father said we should be together?"

''Not a surprise.'' he said. ''I was supposed to be with the Alpha of South Dakota second daughter.''

''But you're getting married to Zoe?" I questioned as he parked and I saw people near the barn and lights. Like a party.

''Yeah, I should mention you have a nephew to.'' he said and my head snapped so quickly I'm surprised it didn't break. He grinned, chuckling, ''Jeez, calm down. His name is Shiloh, he's three. He's my little ankle biter.'' he said proudly.

''Well, you certainly had a good life lately.'' I said and he nodded, smiling. ''But this is crazy. I don't wanna be with Will, he annoys the hell out of me.''

''Pack members usually choose their mates, but if you're the child of high authority you're parents choose because they feel like they know best.'' he said, rolling his eyes. ''Look, I wouldn't even worry about all that right now. You got years until Alpha Lincoln suggest a marriage. Just get use to pack life.''

''Get use to?" I questioned. ''I don't want to be a part of this crazy cult. I plan on leaving once I graduate.''

''And go where?' he asked and I just stared. ''Have money saved up to go somewhere? Friends? All you have is me and I'm a pack member.''

''I can survive on my own!" I said stubbornly. ''I can work at a cash register or flip burgers.''

''Not with your attitude.'' he said. ''I can see you getting fired your first day. You hate people telling you what to do. I know because I do. I punched a boss of mine when I was seventeen.''

''So what? I join the pack and then?' I asked.

''You come live with me.'' he said and my eyes widen at him. ''I'm not letting you stay at a group home when you belong with your brother. I'll take care of you.''

''I'm not leaving Marchand.'' I said.

''Why not?" he asked. ''You said you'll be leaving once you graduate,''

''The group home. I have to be here for Emily." I said without meaning to. I turned in my seat awkwardly.

''Who's Emily?" he asked.

''A girl I share my room with.'' I said, lowering my head. ''She's like my little sister. She's the only close that I feel like cares about me.'' I opened the door of the car and Devin got out to. I kept my jacket close around me as we walked over to the barn.