xxi.

Alpha Lincoln sat in his chair across the table from me and brought his hands up to his face. He ran them down his face and sighed heavily, “Mat, how long have you been contacting them?”

“I haven't, I didn't even send the letter.” I said quickly.

He put the letter in the middle of the table, “This letter doesn't sound like a first letter. It's more like an update letter. Update for what?”

I scoffed, “Alpha Lincoln, I branded myself for the pack. I'm loyal to you all.”

He picked the letter up and skimmed through it, “'I want to see you both so badly.'” he read. He placed the letter down, “I believe you didn't tell them to come but what if the other letters made it seem like you wanted to come here.” I opened my mouth as if I was gonna speak but no words came out and I just sat there with my mouth hanging open. “This won't look good if the pack founds out it is your parents here.”

My eyes widen, “So wait, you're not sure it's even them?”

“No—“

“Then let me out of here!” I said quickly as I tugged at the cuffs around my wrist behind me. “You don't even have proof it's them so—“

“Two rogue are here and everyone in the pack knows your parents are rogue. Word will spread like wildfire and I’m sure many already guessing it's your parents. It's not hard to learn secrets in a small pack, Matilda. They'll know you've been contacting them.” he said. “And a few pack members saw you talking to Melinda before she went into the woods.”

“Like who?” I asked.

“Trenton, Marlene, and Nate.” he said and my anger flew at the mention of Nate. I could feel my eyes turn yellow because I had this feeling like a wave washing down on my head. “You have something against Nate Summers?” he asked

“Yes!” I coldly said. “The freak been 'watching' me lately with this weird cold look on his face.”

“Nate comes from a troubled family. His uncles ran away and they're no where to be seen. His parents were killed when he was nine and he's raised by his grandparents. His temper isn't very good either. It's why he's mostly quiet because he knows once his mouths opens when he's angry, it doesn't stop.” he said.

“But it might not be my parents. You took my brother and I because of secrets?” I asked. “I want to get out of here. You're making me seem like the bad guy and—"

“What did you say to Melinda?” he asked. “I know you two don't like each other. What did you say to make her even more upset?”

I stared at him disbelief as my eyes turned back to hazel before breathing out heavily, “I wasn't trying to start a fight with her. I thought since if I was in the pack now, I should stop whatever feud there was with us but she didn't want to. I tried telling her I understood why she was angry at me and Killian, but she still seemed pissed and ran into the woods.”

“Melinda is a very sensitive girl.” he said, sighing heavily. “We haven't told the pack but my wife is sick. The only disease that can a wolf is cancer and she has breast cancer. Melinda been taking it hard and she's close to her mom and she avoid things by causing drama. I know my daughter isn't the easiest girl in the world to deal with. The things she does, it's her way of dealing. She wanted to find a husband because she wants her mom to see her get married. My wife Alana has is doing chemotherapy but she isn't getting better right now.”

“Alpha Lincoln, how are you even sure she's missing? Maybe she's just at a friends house—“

“I've been calling every town and no one has seen her. No one can find her and Melinda always just comes home when she's upset.” he said. “She doesn't leave Oregon ever unless she needs to and she has never run away before. If you were a parent, you would understand.”