xvi.

When Alpha Lincoln door opened, I turned around. He didn’t seem very happy, giving me hard look but he didn’t start yelling at me. I crossed my arms over my chest as he walked past and turned to face me. He leaned back on his desk, the palm of his hands pressed against the wooden table. “You will listen to me, alright?” he said.

I licked my lips and opened my mouth, but I heard Devin voice nagging in my ear. I closed my mouth and nodded.

“Tell me why I shouldn’t kick you out?” he asked.

I straighten my back, “Because I realized how lucky I should be to be taken in. It . . . . It wasn’t very easy out there. It was a mistake to run away and I deeply apologize.” Wow, that was much harder to say than I thought it would be. I wish I could have just avoid this, going back to school as if I had never left. Apparently not.

“Matilda, you need to understand you just can’t walk out on a pack like that. I’m only willing to give you a second chance because of your father.” he said. He stood up and walked over to me, “One more thing. About Killian—you know this well be a scandal. People have already known about them. When they learn he decided to leave her, it won’t make her look pretty.”

“I understand, Linc—Alpha Lincoln.” I said. “I’ve tired—we both had. The was one of the reason why I had left. With me here, he wasn’t thinking straight. At least I thought he wasn’t.”

“You’re birthday is in seven days, Matilda.” he said. “You’re going to be feeling allot of things.”

“I can already. Some people smell like dirty laundry and the others smell like—well, like fresh air. Like the woods or smelling a flower.” I said. “Is that weird?”

He shook his head, “It’s who you can point out who’s a human and a wolf. That’s you smelling senses.” He stared at me before sighing heavily, “Look Matilda, not many know about you yet. So,” he brought his finger up to his mouth, “this really never even happened. For the ones that do, well you just got cold feet.” he said as he dropped his hand from his mouth.

I chuckled, “You’re letting me off that easily?”

“Ah, you got me. There is a price.” he said, confusing me. “You and Devin come with me to Washington in two weeks.”

My mouth dropped a little, staring at him, “Excuse me? Isn’t Washington like—I don’t know. Don’t the Alpha there kind of like hate my brother and I?”

“It’s time to make amends. We’re gonna prove to them how well you both are doing.” he said.

I arched an eyebrow, “So we just go and what?”

“He’s holding a party at his ranch. You and Devin will be my guest. I’m going to show you both off.” I said.

“Show us off?” I questioned and he nodded. “I’m not a side show to be stared—“

“Ah, remember. This is my way of letting you off with a slap on the wrist.” he said.

I scrunched my nose, a little angry but I forced him a stiff smile, “Alright, Alpha Lincoln.”

He patted the top of my head, “Good pup. Now you may go. I’m sure you got some packing to do to move in with your brother.”

*

I walked over to Alexander, one of the worker at Wings Hope, “Have you seen Emily?”

She shrugged, “I think she had gone to the park.”

I nodded, “Thanks.” I said, picking up my box. I walked out of the building and over to Devin car. Killian smiled, taking the box from me. He kissed my cheek, making me blush a little since Devin was here. I wasn’t very use to PDA. “I have to go to the park real quick. I need to look for Emily. I’m sure she’s real upset.”