Chapter 18

Luke's POV

Jamie and I have been talking more since the time at his house. Sometimes it was nice to have someone that was a bit older to talk to because he had good advice. I was still having trouble with the school hockey team and it was nice to talk to him.

Right now we were both hanging around on the ice after our practice. We were running drills together but we weren't working too hard. We wanted to stay on the ice after the practice so we started to work together.

We were taking shots at goal as we started to talk.

"Are you still having trouble with the school team?" he asked as he took a shot.

"They are still jerks and sometimes still call me the Next One but I mostly ignore it," I told him.

"Have you talked to your Coach about it?"

"There is no point. Mark is his favourite and he isn't going to do anything about it."

We didn't talk much more and then headed into the locker room. The rest of the guys had already left so it was silent as we changed. I was finished before Jamie so I packed up and was about to leave when he asked me what I was going to be doing.

"I've got some homework to do so I'm going to go home and do that," I said.

"Is your Mom going to be home?"

"No but I don't really mind."

He asked if I wanted company but I didn't really. He offered me a lift as well but I was fine walking home and it wasn't too cold so I headed out alone. It gave me time to think. I was confused with Brynn.

I hadn't talk to her during Math and then she shouldered me the other day and made me drop my bag. I didn't know what to think of that. She seemed to think that it was quite funny and I was confused by that.

I tried to push my thoughts of Brynn out of my mind and focus on other things instead. Without really realising I had reached our apartment. I spread my homework out on the table and started to work.

With music playing softly in the background I could focus on my work and it didn't take me get it long for it to all be done. I didn't have anything else to do so I decided to make myself lunch. I actually like to cook but I don't have much time.

I opened the fridge and found nothing that wasn't mouldy. I quickly threw it all into the bin before having to start making a list. Mom hadn't been home to eat here and I had been working a lot and eating at the restaurant so neither of us had been home to eat so it wasn't surprising that everything had gone mouldy.

I locked the apartment back up again and grabbed my phone to see that I had a message from Alex. We had been talking a bit more as well but unlike when I was talking to Jamie it wasn't so serious. It was a photo of him in his kitchen and there was food on the floor.

It was accompanied by a text that he had accidentally dropped his lunch onto the ground. I told him about my grocery shopping and I could tell that he was laughing at me. I dropped my phone into my pocket and I could feel my phone vibrating and I started to ignore him.

I was at the grocery store before I looked at my phone and I had fifteen messages from Alex. They were all pretty much telling me to stop ignoring him.

I'm being a responsible adult since you can be

I pocketed my phone again before I got a chance to see what Alex's reply was. I had a long list of things to get since our kitchen was pretty much empty of food. I was grabbing cereal off one of the shelves when I heard my name being called.

I turned around to see Thomas coming up the aisle with his Mother. I like Thomas but I didn't want to deal with his Mother. I don't think that she was particularly pleased to see me either.

"Luke, it's cool to see you here," Thomas smiled.

"You too, what are you doing here?" I asked.

"I wanted to make cookies and so Mom and I needed the ingredients," he said.

"Thomas, how about you go and get and milk and butter so I can talk to Luke?" his Mother suggested.

Thomas nodded and happily skipped away to grab what his Mom suggested.

"I don't know what you are doing but I don't want you talking to Thomas," she ordered once he was out of earshot.

"I'm his hockey Coach and you can't tell me something ridiculous like that," I snapped.

"I'm his Mother, I think I can say who he can talk to."

I just rolled my eyes and walked away from her. She was sprouting bullshit and I wasn't going to deal with that. She called something else from behind me but I wasn't really listening. I past Thomas and he begged me to stay but I told him that I had other places I needed to be. He looked a little disappointed but I had to do it.

It didn't take me long to finish shopping and head home which I was glad about because I didn't really like shopping. I texted Jamie a little bit about what Thomas' Mom was doing and he was just as confused as me.

I was always texting Alex and it was a lot of fun but sometimes he would send the strangest things but it made things amusing. I had just finished putting all the groceries away when I noticed a card sitting on the bench.

I hadn't noticed it before so I opened it. It had a simple flower on the front and it was addressed to Mom. There wasn't much writing on the inside and there wasn't even a name. It just said, I think that you needed something to brighten your day.

I was confused about who it was from and why it was on the bench in the kitchen. I filed away the thought away for later in case in came in necessary later. I was got distracted when I heard my phone ding and I saw that I had a message from Alex.

I spent most of my afternoon switching between texting Jamie and Alex and it was a nice away to spend my afternoon because they were easy to talk to.

..................................................................................................................................................................................................

Comment and Vote

The Wise One