Chapter 39

Luke's POV

We had a game later that week and I had got into the flow of training with the school team. Mark had mostly ignored me so his friends ignored me and I have to say that I liked it. It meant that I didn't have to deal with them yelling at me.

It was a home game and it meant that I didn't have to deal with the bus trip. I glanced up into the crowd as the game started and I could see Brynn sitting with Thomas. Neither of them were currently looking at the ice as they were talking among themselves.

Mark was the starting centre and I knew that there was no point asking Coach about it. I took my seat on the bench and watched as the game started. The puck bounced up and down the ice as neither team seemed to be able to control it.

Finally Coach sent my line over the boards and I felt myself relax once my skates touched the ice. We didn't get a chance to really do much. Both James and Kris had shots on goal but neither of them were close to going in.

I made sure to sit on the bench next to Kris and James and I started to tell them about what I was seeing and how the opposition was playing. I didn't know if they really going to do what I suggested but at least I said it.

It helped because we had a few more chances the next time that we were on the ice but none of our shots seemed to be able to slip past the goalie. Eventually they got called for a tripping penalty and Coach leant over my shoulder.

"You want a chance. You can go on the first unit power play but you better do something," he threatened.

I nodded and wasn't completely convinced what to say because he gave me a chance but he pretty much told me that if we didn't score it wouldn't be happening again.

I headed over the boards and I could see Mark glaring at me. In my excitement I had forgotten that of course Mark played power play as well and we would be on the ice together in a game for the first time.

"You better not screw this up," he whispered.

"I think that you are forgetting that I'm actually the better player," I retorted.

"I'm the top line centre."

"And you don't deserve it."

We started playing so it meant that our conversation came to an end. The seconds on the power play started to tick down and we had a couple of chances to score. One of them we should've scored if Mark had passed me the puck but he looked at me and didn't.

We didn't score and when we got to the bench I turned to Mark and glared at him.

"Why didn't you pass me the puck?" I asked.

"You weren't open," he snapped.

"I was wide fucking open. You just didn't want to pass it to me."

"Are you insinuating that I would rather lose then you let you score?"

"I'm stating it outright."

"Both of you shut up. Crosby, I told you to score and you didn't," Coach interacted.

"I would have had Mark passed to me," I snapped.

"I thought that I wanted no complaints out of you?"

I didn't say anything to Coach or Mark for the rest of the game and despite not scoring on that power play we won 3-2 and I scored one of the goals and assisted on one of the others. I knew that Brynn and Thomas were going to be waiting for me outside so I didn't hang around in the locker room.

Mark was still glaring at me but I ignored it and showered and changed. Coach had a couple of things to say to all of us and I noticed that he said a couple of pointed things to me. I rolled my eyes when he wasn't looking because of course he wouldn't congratulate me on what I did but find things to criticize me on.

Once I got out I quickly found Brynn and Thomas outside and we were about to leave when I heard my name getting called from behind me. I turned around the see Mark and a few of his friends walking towards me.

I could see Brynn tense out of the corner of my eye and I took me a second to remember why. I had forgotten that Justin had told me that Mark was her ex-boyfriend. I looked at her and she just shrugged.

"What do you want Mark because I really don't feel like having an argument with you?" I asked.

He didn't say anything for a second and I realised that he was distracted by Brynn.

"What are doing here Brynn? I thought that you didn't come to hockey games?" Mark asked Brynn.

I pulled Brynn slightly closer to me when she didn't say anything. I hadn't asked her what happened between her and Mark but I knew that something had gone wrong. There were a couple of things that made me think this. Especially the way that she treated me when I first came because I was a hockey player.

Mark smirked at Brynn and that just made me angry.

"Why are you pleased that she didn't say anything? Clearly you have proved to her after how you treated her that you aren't worth a response," I snapped.

"What are you talking about?" he asked.

"Brynn is my girlfriend. Of course she told me about her stupid ex-boyfriend," I lied.

Mark gaped at me and I got to smirk at him this time. I really didn't want to hang around Mark anymore so I turned around and Brynn and Thomas followed after me. Brynn looked a little shocked and she didn't say anything during the drive to her house.

Thomas disappeared and I followed Brynn into the kitchen to start making dinner. She had already told me that her parents were at some work function and there was leftover lasagne to heat up.

"I never told you about Mark," she said softly.

"You didn't have to. Justin told me that you two used to date and I figured out that it must have ended pretty badly. Especially with how you didn't like hockey players," I explained.

She looked at me and I wrapped her in a hug.

"You don't have to explain. I don't need another reason to hate Mark," I said softly.

"I want to. I should have told you ages ago."

She didn't say anything for a couple more minutes as we finished getting the lasagne ready. Thomas was still in his room so we didn't have to worry about him listening to this conversation as we sat in the lounge.

"We dated last year. We spent a lot of time together and I spent a lot of time with the hockey team. I was too blind to see that a lot of them had other people that they were sleeping with. I found up and broke up with him. I was heartbroken because I really like him," she explained.

I didn't say anything because there wasn't anything needing to be said.

"I'm sorry about how I treated when you first came. I shouldn't have judged you," she whispered.

"You had a bad experience. I don't really care anymore," I assured her.

She nodded and we didn't talk about it anymore as we stayed in each other's arms on the couch.

......................................................................................................................................................................................................

Comment and Vote

The Wise One