Chapter 50

Luke's POV

My first two away games were the next week. I was still yet to hear from Brynn and I wasn't sure what to do anymore. I couldn't just go and talk to her because we weren't in the same city anymore. I had pushed it out of my mind because we were going to be playing the Oshawa and Hamilton.

My roommate had become Mitch because he hadn't had one since last season as his own one had left. I asked him if he was alright and he said that he didn't care and I think that he really didn't. I had learnt how to pack efficiently so my bag was light.

I dumped it on the floor by my bed and sat down on my bed. Mitch was moving around doing different things and I grabbed my school books out, stretched out on my stomach, and started to work.

I was starting to make progress on my Maths work when Mitch settled down on his own bed. He had grabbed his own books out and for at least an hour we worked in silence on our own work. I got through most of my work in that time but there were a couple of questions that I would have to do a bit more work on.

"I love hockey but I would love it if I could attend all my classes," Mitch said from the other bed.

"Same, there are some things that you can't do yourself," I said.

I packed up my stuff and put it in a pile on the floor. I turned to face Mitch and found that he had already dumped his stuff on the floor and had turned to face me.

"I give up," he said slightly dramatically.

I had to laugh at him and that led to him throwing one of his pillows at me which I could easily duck.

"What time is dinner?" I asked.

"In like two hours," he said turning to look at the clock.

I nodded and sat up and turned to face Mitch.

"Do you think that you are going to get drafted?" I asked him.

He looked at me and it was the first time that I have seen him nervous.

"People are saying that I'm going to be a top prospect but it doesn't stop you worrying," he said.

"You totally are going to be a top prospect. You are a really good player," I assured him.

That was how we got talking about the draft. It wasn't something that I usually watched because I find it boring but I knew how it worked. From there we moved on to just talking about hockey and it was easy.

Before too long someone was knocking on the door and telling us that we were about to have dinner and we were needed downstairs. I pulled my hoodie on as we headed out and Mitch locked the door.

Jackson was standing out there so we headed down with him. A lot of the team was already eating so we both took seats and started to listen to the conversation going on around us. I was fine with listening to everyone else talk as we ate.

A bunch of us ended up in Ryan and Noah's room. I took a seat on Noah's bed and crossed my legs under me. I was only half listening to everyone talk around me when someone noted that my phone was ringing. I was surprised to see that it was Brynn calling me so I stepped out into the hallway.

"Hey," I said simply.

"Hey Luke, it's good to talk to you," she said.

"How have you been?" I asked.

I sat down in the hallway and let her talk about the things that she had been doing since I had left. I was happy to let her go on and just let her talk. She was telling me about things that she had being with her friends.

"I've got to go so I'll talk to later," I said.

"Brynn," I started but she had hung up.

I sat there in complete shock. She didn't ask me about how I was going and what I was doing. I liked Brynn a lot but I wasn't sure if it was worth it anymore. I sat there for a couple more minutes before picking myself off the floor and heading back to join the guys in the room.

No one had moved in the time that I was gone so I could sit in the same place.

"Who were you talking to?" Ryan asked.

"Just one of my friends from Pittsburgh," I said.

Talking to Brynn didn't really answer many or any of the questions I had about our relationship. In fact I think that it really made me think of more questions. I pushed it out of my mind and concentrated on the conversations going on around me.

No one was particularly interested in staying up that late with a game the next two days. Mitch and I headed to our room and once we were there we moved around each other silently, doing our own thing.

"You ready for tomorrow?" he asked.

I nodded. I wasn't as nervous even though it was my first away game but I have been travelling for hockey for years now so it wasn't really anything new.

"Who was it really that called? You seemed even quieter afterwards," he asked.

"It's my sort of girlfriend," I admitted.

"Sort of girlfriend?" he asked.

"We agreed to keep dating when I left but she hasn't texted me since I left and that was the first time she has called and the whole time it was just about what she was doing."

We didn't talk much more about it because we were both tired and I didn't really want to talk about. I didn't know what I was going to do and talking to someone else didn't seem to help. Instead we talked about hockey until we both drifted off to sleep.

The game the next day was a win and it didn't feel any different to the games that we had played at home. I know that the spectators were supporting a different team but I could block that all out and just focus on my game.

I had an assist on Mitch's goal and I found that I was fitting in more and more into their hockey system. The bus trip wasn't too bad because a lot of us were sleeping and the bus was silent but even when it wasn't it was easy.

The team was so friendly and I loved them. The games seemed to blend into one and the weeks seemed to fly by and I barely noticed.

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Comment and Vote

The Wise One