Chapter 26

Luke's POV

I was getting sick of not seeing Mom was I was taking it into my own hands. I wasn't working again today and only had school training so after training I headed home to search for something that I was looking for.

It didn't take me long to find somewhere that told me where she worked. She had told me when we first moved but I couldn't remember where it was. I ended up finding the address on a piece of paper sitting on the table near the door.

Mom worked for some major accounting firm that seemed to have offices in every city based on where we had moved to. I tucked the piece of paper into my jeans' pocket and locked the apartment behind me.

I had to google it but I managed to figure out where it was. It wasn't very far away and I didn't mind the walk and I got to see some of Pittsburgh that I hadn't before. I stopped outside the building and just stood on the street for a minute.

Did I really want to do this? I wanted Mom to be around more and I wasn't seeing at her at home to have the conversation. After standing there for a minute or so I pushed the door open and headed to talk to the receptionist.

"What can I do for you, hon?" she smiled brightly.

"I'm looking for Jane Crosby," I told her.

"I'm sorry hon, but she has already left," she said.

I frowned and glanced at the clock hanging on the wall. It was just past five and I hadn't seen Mom home that early in years.

"What time does she usually leave?"

"Around five or so most days with another accountant that works here. I think that his name is Chase Fraser."

"Thanks for that," I smiled at her and headed back outside.

There was seat outside and I sat on it to consider my options. I couldn't believe that Mom was hiding something from me. I knew his name and it didn't take me long to find out his address since I knew his name.

He didn't live far from here and since I had made it this far I decided that I should go and talk Mom. Once again I googled directions and started walking. It didn't take me long and I came to a stop in front of a very nice looking house.

I headed up the path and knocked on the door. I heard voiced behind the wood but I couldn't make out any words. The door was opened by a girl who didn't look more than eight.

"Who are you?" she asked.

"I'm Luke and I'm looking for Jane," I said softly.

"She's inside, do you want to come in?" the girl asked.

I nodded and I followed her into the house and I found Mom curled up on the couch with some guy and another two kids, both boys probably about 11 and 14. They looked up and Mom looked shocked when she saw me standing there.

"Luke, what are you doing here?" she stuttered.

"Brandon, Tom and Katie, you should go upstairs. This is an adult conversation," Chase said.

"But it's Coach Luke," Tom, the younger boy protested.

I hadn't even realised that it was Tom from my Peewee team. I knelt down on one knee so that I could talk to him.

"I'll see you at training tomorrow so I can see you then," I promised him.

That made him smile and he followed his siblings upstairs. I took a seat opposite Mom and Chase.

"What are you doing here?" Mom asked again.

"Well, I realised that I haven't seen you in weeks and so I headed to your work. I found out that instead of coming home you have been spending time with your boyfriend," I snapped.

Mom looked at me and I just shrugged.

"Don't you want your Mother to be happy?" Chase asked.

"Of course I do but I also needed someone to talk me every time that my hockey team teased me or when I was struggling to fit in because I'd had to move schools because of your job. You can stay here, I don't think that I want to see you," I said.

"Luke," Mom started and I shook my head before heading out so that I didn't have to hear her protesting.

I could feel tears welling up in my eyes as I headed out and I knew who I wanted to talk to. I tucked my phone into my pocket and started to run. Luckily I knew where I was going and it didn't take long because I could feel the tears running down my face.

I knocked on the door and I think that Thomas was quite surprised when he saw me there. I had tears running down my face and I was a little bit out of breath.

"Can I come in and talk to Brynn?" I asked.

He nodded and let me in before leading me into Brynn's room. She was surprised to see me but didn't ask anything before she wrapped me in a tight hug. Without breaking apart we slowly walked backwards and took a seat on her bed.

"What's the matter?" she asked.

I told her about my afternoon and she pulled me closer to her.

"You can stay here if you want. Do you want something to eat?" she asked.

I answered yes to both questions and we headed into the kitchen after I wiped the tears off my cheeks. Thomas was already there and he jumped off his seat and wrapped me in a hug as well. It made me smile as well and Brynn opened the fridge and started to explore.

"Are your parents home?" I asked.

"No, they don't come home until later. They will be fine with you staying though," Brynn said.

I looked at her because last time I had seen her Mom I was telling her that she was a terrible parent.

"I talked to her and she understands so she will be fine, I promise," she assured me.

I didn't get a chance to talk to her parents because I crashed not long after we had finished dinner. Brynn gave me the spare room and as soon as I lay down I fell asleep.

....................................................................................................................................................................................................

Comment and Vote

The Wise One