Chapter 30

Sophia Parker

We're having a huge dinner later today at the house and I don't know why. I've been bothering my mum to tell me who the special guest is but she said it's a surprise.

I don't like surprises.

"Mum, just say who the person is! Does dad know already?" I pestered her. We were both in the kitchen making some food.

"Yes, he does."

"Then how come I don't get to know?!"

"Because the surprise is for you!" She smiled and I only rolled my eyes.

I tried to think of who it could possibly be but not many people came to my mind.

It wasn't any of my friends from college because we wouldn't need to prepare a huge dinner and even bake a choc chip pecan pie... which my mum was currently doing. This person must be really special.

Who was special to me?

I thought about it and also, not many made the list.

Well... there was Mr Wilson of course. But there was no way he is the surprise guest. From what I know, my mum isn't really a fan of him anymore. And my dad doesn't even know him. Besides he's in New York, same with some of my other friends that I could consider special.

Speaking of Mr Wilson, I haven't called him since the other day. It's been more than a week now and I really wanted to hear from him. But I didn't want to get in a fight or argue with him so I avoided calling him.

Also, I've been meaning to tell my mum that I was ready to go back to New York. Lily had already started job hunting for me.

My dad is fully healthy now so I can leave him with my mum and begin to work again. That way, I can get some money to pay for the surgery bills.

"Mum, I think my vacation is coming to an end." I hinted.

"Really? So soon?"

"I've been here over a month now, what do you mean so soon?" I laughed.

"Stay a little longer darling. Your dad and I are really enjoying your company."

"Yeah but I'm bored of you guys and very soon I'll be broke as well."

"Why don't you go back to your old job?" She asked.

Huh?

"But I thought-"

"No Sophia, I'm sure all that was just a misunderstanding. Your boss seems nice and you probably mistook his kindness for something else. You have to go back."

Have to??? What in the world was she talking about?

"No. I can't." I said sternly.

What in the world has gotten into her? She was the same person who was looking forward to my resignation, now she wants me to go back?!

"Do whatever you want sweetie. It's your choice. You can take the pie out of the oven, it should be ready by now." She changed the subject so casually.

Ughhh! I couldn't believe her right now.

*

We were all seated at the dining. My dad at one end and my mum at the other. I sat somewhere in the middle.

After we shared the grace, we started to eat.

The table was full with all kinds of foods.