Chapter 40

Adam Wilson

As I walked into Sophia's apartment building, I saw Alfred sitting behind his desk as usual. He and I have become aquatinted due to my frequent visits here.

I remember the  first time I met him. I was in pursuit of Sophia, and he informed me that she had left for an early morning flight to Virginia... the first time.

I gave him my card to contact me if he heard from her. He eventually did but he was obviously too late. I had hunted her down myself.

I exchanged pleasantries with him before making my way to Sophia's.

"Hey m'love." I said to her as soon as she opened the door.

"Hi." She replied, with very little emotion.

Her mood seemed a bit flat. Wondering why, I took her in my arms and gave her a long sensual kiss, hoping I could cheer her up.

"How was your day?" I asked. Mine just got better. I was going to take Sophia home with me today. She was slowly moving her things into my house.

"Crazy." She sighed.

"Oh really? Do you want to tell me about it?" I asked, tracing my fingers across her beautiful pale cheek. Only then did I notice a glint of emotion. She looked rather... sad.

What happened to her?

"Not really, its not important anyway..." She turned away from me. Reluctantly, I let her go.

I closed the door behind me and stepped fully into the apartment.

What could have happened to her? Perhaps, it could just be the pregnancy symptoms playing out?

"Are you ready?"

"Yes. I am." She pointed towards the corner of her living room. "I've only got two suitcases."

"Are you sure that's everything you need?" It didn't look like a lot to me.

"That's all... for now at least."

"Okay. We'll get the rest of your stuff with a moving van." I kissed her on the forehead before I went over to test the heaviness of the suitcases. I picked them up swiftly and realized they weren't heavy at all.

"Um, Adam... are you... are you sure about all this?" She asked nervously out of nowhere, playing with the hem of the cardigan she wore.

Like I suspected, something was definitely wrong.

That was a famous habit of hers when she was nervous. I knew it all too well.

"About what?" I asked.

"About... me moving in. With you."

Huh? What kind of question is that?

"Of course I am. I wouldn't have asked if I wasn't."

"Okay... Its just, after... y'know, everything that has happened between us..." she stuttered.

I furrowed my eyebrows disapprovingly.

"Where are you going with this, Sophia?"

I knew exactly where she was going! By now, I thought we were past all this!

"I don't know... I just want to make sure that you're making the right decision." She said.

"You think I'm not capable of doing that myself?" I found myself getting annoyed.

"No, of course you are..." She said apologeticaly. "But when someone is in love... sometimes they might make the wrong decisions... or they think they want something but... they really don't." She looked away.