Chapter 36

Adam Wilson

"Listen, if you don't fix the problem today then I might lose one of my most important clients. If that happens then you will certainly lose your job too, trust me." I ended the call and threw my phone on the desk.

I was extremely angry with all the engineers, especially Craig! The security programme they installed for Sytner's branch in Michigan was diagnosed with bugs and this affected their surveillance and protection. In other words, they were hacked! They shut down immediately and now the company is prone to encroachment. I have been trying to fix the problem for the past week but I can't go over to Michigan, I have a lot to do here in New York!

I also have a conference call with the board of Sytner group starting in 5 minutes and I don't know what to say to them! The problem still hasn't been identified because we don't have a copy of the software to work with! I managed to have a copy posted to New York a few days ago but it hasn't arrived yet!

"Fuck." I ran my hands through my hair. Its been so long since I've been under this much pressure.

Once I find out whoever is responsible for this, they will get sacked immediately without severance pay because this error is crucial and my company could potentially face legal actions.

A Skype call rang on my desktop. It was them.

I braced myself before joining the conference call. It was the CEO George Sytner himself, and the Branch manager for Michigan.

"Adam." George greeted, very apathetically.

"George. I've been expecting your call."

"Indeed. I am sure you are aware of what's happening."

"Completely."

"You seem rather... relaxed."

"This is an unforeseen incident and my team is currently taking every reasonable step to resolve the problem." I assured him.

"That is not how I do business Adam. You pitched your idea brilliantly to me and you made it seem flawless. This is not what we agreed on. I did not sign up for this." He flared up.

"Neither did I George. I agree to cover the cost of every security data lost before the system was shut down, and I guarantee that the problem will be fixed before the end of this week."

That seemed to calm him down a bit.

"It is currently Tuesday. I want everything sorted by Friday."

"We're working on it George, consider it done." I said.

"Good." He said before disconnecting the call.

Well, that went okay... except for the fact that I just made the company lose thousands of dollars.

My intercom buzzed with a call from department 09, ie Craig. I picked up instantly.

"Any progress?" I asked.

"Yes sir, I can confirm that the copy of the software just arrived and we are currently reviewing its encryption." He said.

"Excellent, I'll be down in a second." I said.

At this point, I didn't trust anyone to do the job properly. I had to supervise.