Chapter 4 - "Aw, don't cry, baby Gilbert."

~ The Night of the Comet ~ Part Two ~

Third POV

Caroline walked past a popcorn machine, she walked past the people who were in the town square, getting ready to watch the comet. She looked forwards, smiling when she saw a familiar raven-haired man standing across the square, staring at her intently. She started walking towards him, smirking at him. She then stopped, looking at the now empty spot in confusion. She put her hands on her hips, glancing around, before heading in the other direction when she couldn't spot him.

~~~~~

"What is Damon doing here? Why did he come home?" Zach asked, looking at Stefan, who had his back turned towards him, the vampire facing his bed.

"Cause I came home." Stefan said, buttoning up his brown shirt as he turned towards his distant nephew. "He wants to make my life miserable. That's how he enjoys his." He said.

"Well, he's putting us all at risk. This girl in the hospital could talk." Zach said.

"She won't." Stefan shook his head. "I took care of her." He said as he finished buttoning his shirt, walking away from his bed.

"You're sure?" Zach asked, watching the vampire grab his leather jacket.

Stefan looked at his nephew, letting out a sigh. "I'm not sure, Zach. I don't know how well it worked." He said, putting on his jacket. "I'm not as strong as Damon."

"So what happens if it doesn't work?" The human asked.

"I don't know. I'll deal with it." Stefan said before he started walking towards his bedroom door.

"Is she worth it?" Zach asked, making the other Salvatore stop and turn around. "Uncle Stefan, this girl you came back for." He asked, but Stefan didn't reply, instead, he turned back around, walking out.

~~~~~

"Vicki, what are you doing here?" Jeremy asked, looking at the oldest Donovan, who was sporting a big bandage on the side of her neck.

Vicki glanced back at where she just walked out from, "Fighting with Robert about my schedule." She told the Gilbert boy, before bringing a hand up to her forehead, letting out a sigh. "You'd think getting ripped up by a rabid animal would merit an extra sick day." She said, looking up at the boy, who was a couple of inches taller than her, despite being younger.

"Are you feeling okay?" Jeremy asked her.

She sighed, "I hurt."

"Well, the doctor gave you something, right?" He asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"The kid stuff. Nothing with an "o" in it." She said, making him chuckle. "I think they were onto me." She smiled.

He smiled back, before pulling a small bottle out of his black coat, "Here. Knock yourself out, literally." He said, handing her the pill bottle, both unaware that Tyler was watching them by the pool table.

"Thanks, Jer." She smiled up at him, opening the bottle.

"So you gonna, uh, watch the comet later?" He asked, watching as she swallowed a couple of the pills before she closed the lid.

"I hadn't really thought about it." She said. "But I could be talked into it." She said, making a small smile appear on his face. "I'll meet you out there in a few." She smiled, nodding her head towards the Grills front door.

"Hey, Vick." Tyler said, walking up to the two. "How you feeling?" He looked at her, shoving his hands in his pockets.

She looked over at him, "Like you care." She said, before walking past both boys.